Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Tuesday Morning Music Shuffle - This is Definitely Not Offensive Mix



Some pretty remarkable things have been happening in regards to me music writing.  I can honestly say that I see completely overwhelmed sometimes (in the best possible way), and that I truly feel humbled. In the last day or so, I have seen words that I wrote showing up on Facebook posts and websites and other places, posted by people I respect a whole bunch. I am continuing to find my place in the crazy mixed up circus that is the Nashville/East Nashville music world.  I just recently got invited down to Safety Harbor Songfest this weekend in Florida to hang out with awesome people and hopefully write some words.  Gratitude is a overused, underappreciated emotion, but one that I am feeling in abundance today.  I am not going to name names simply because I will leave people out, but I know for a fact that none of this would be possible but for some of the people who read this blog in the early days and connected with me so that I knew I was not writing into an abyss (or to the disproportionate number of site visitors from Russia in those early days). Nor, would I have continued with the encouragement and concern expressed by some when I had to take an unexpected break from blogging. Nor would any of these good things be happening with the friendship and support of those who helped me through one of the roughest patches of my life. 

To think this whole vast empire (sarcasm intended) was built on the foundation of a random shuffling of songs...   Let's shuffle, shall we...

"Gator Lake Road" by Bark.

Another from the Tim and Susan Bauer Lee side project, Bark. The new EP is called Bark.  This song was their submission to Couch by Couchwest, and we have that video in our Playlist.

"Orchid Girl" by Aztec Camera

This song was included on the 12" single of Oblivious and later added to the 1991 CD reissue of High Land Hard Rain.  It's a lovely mellow tune from Roddy Frame and co.

"Psycho Street" by Richard Thompson

You ever get the feeling your neighbors are a little strange?  An odd and wonderful little ditty from Rumor and Sigh.

"American Tune" by Paul Simon

Originally from Simon's second solo album There Goes Rhymin' Simon, based on a melody from Bach which in turn was based upon an earlier work by Hans Leo Hassler.  A lovely addition to the morning shuffle.

"This Light is For the World" by The Waterboys

This spiritual song from The Waterboys' 2003 album Universal Hall.   The Waterboys latest album, Modern Blues was recorded here in Nashville.  It is out in the UK and due for release in the U.S. April 7. The Waterboys will be playing 3rd and Lindsley on April 18, and I am looking forward to seeing them live for the first time.
 
"Rainshowers" by Jeremy Gluck and Robert Coyne

Another track from the Memory Deluxe: I Knew Buffalo Bill 2 album by The Barracudas bandmates Jeremy Gluck and Robert Coyne.  This song is a cover of a 1972 single by Canadian Rock singer Michel Pagliaro.

"Omnivore" by Black Iron Prison

Black Iron Prison are a metal band from Albany, New York.  This song is from a 2012 EP called Fear is Every Man's Portion.  The current lineup of Black Iron Prison includes Elijah Hargrave who was in the E2TG 2012 Band of the Year Skeletons in the Piano (has it really been that long ago?).  I don't think he is singing on this track, but a new rehearsal recording of this song is up on Bandcamp.  In any event, it was nice to have some aggression in the mix as I made my way to the daily grind....  Black Iron Prison is a reference from a Phillip K. Dick novel called VALIS.

"Who Writes Off Who" by Forebear

Forebear are an Alternative Cinematic Progressive Folk Indie Rock band from L.A.  This song is one of the more metal-like songs on their self-titled record, and it was a nice segue out of the Black Iron Prison song into my work day.


VIDEO PLAYLIST


No comments:

Post a Comment