Thursday, September 28, 2017

Topical Thursday Morning Shuffle - Hambones and Spider Queens Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


About 2/3 of the way through American Aquarium's set at The Basement East last night, I had a thought. I was thinking about all the people (many of them people about my age or older or younger) who say things like "Music these days sucks." or something and then they will usually compare some classic band from an earlier era to some disposable pop star of the moment (as if there have not always been disposable pop stars).  My thought, my message to those people, is turn off top 40 radio and go out and see live music. I know I am very spoiled by living in Nashville, but I also know that there is great music (crossing all genres and styles) being made every night and every day all around world.   Cordovas opened for American Aquarium, and as I have come to expect from that band, they totally destroyed.  Seriously, Cordovas are a band I will never get tired of seeing live.

American Aquarium leader B.J. Barham has gone through some major changes in the last two and half years (which is about the time I first really got into the band).  Among those changes was the departure of his entire band.  He has a newly formed band, and they were incredible last night.  Most of the band comes from Texas (Barham is a North Carolina native) and also includes Nashville's own Adam Kurtz (Buck n Stuff) on pedal steel.  I may be bias, being a big Buck n Stuff fan, but I think Kurtz was one of the stars of the night.  As of Barham, he seemed energized and he seemed to be enjoying himself - bouncing around the stage and engaging with the band and the audience.  He speaks hard truths with love, and explores his own life with honesty. 

This show came after taking in the early show at The 5 Spot - which local Sarah Clanton and a band that included the bass player from The Barefoot Movement.  Clanton plays the cello and I had just recently been turned on to her by my DJ partner Sue.   After Clanton's set, Heather Mae from D.C. took the stage. She injected some much needed positive energy into my soul. I am a fan, now. Turns out she knows my friends in FuzzQueen - proving just how small the music world is, Tom Goss closed that early show, and I dug his music, too. 

I hate that I missed Benchmarks at The 5 Spot - as it turned out, I probably could have seen most of their set....  also last night E2TG 2015 Artist of the Year Jon Latham made his debut on Music City Roots with his killer band.  I am looking forward to catching the video of this.

Anyway, from my point of view, the state of music is just fine - the business/money side of it may be a different story, but that is a topic for another time.

Today, we jump back into our exploration of E2TG history.  E2TG began in May 2011.  A vast majority of my posts are the monring shuffles like this one.  The basic premise is, "Hey, I heard some cool music this morning on my way to work, let me tell you about."  So, let me....


"Terraplane" by Sidestreet Reny and Lil'Bell

Sidetreet Reny and Lil' Bell are based out of Portland, Oregon.  I came to know about their music back around 2014 when this album, Holler, came out.  Reny plays a National Resonator guitar (and more) and Lil' Bell plays drums and washboard.  They both sing. The song is a cover of a Robert Johnson song.

"Hambone" by Taj Mahal with John Dee Holeman

In one of those interesting turn of events, I came to know Nick Loss-Eaton through Ted Drozdowski. Nick has his own band, Leland Sundries, and he is on the board of the Music Maker Relief foundation.  I have written about the Music Makers before, and later through Mr. Loss-Eaton, I got hold of Taj Mahal's Labor of Love album before it was released - late in 2016.  The alum features collaborations between Taj Mahal and some of the Music Maker artists - like John Dee Holeman.  The video is Holeman doing this song with Dom Flemings.

"Spider Queen Take 2" by The Hidden Agendas

The Hidden Agendas were hard rock and roll band from Central Pennsylvania. This is a track from their second and final release, Leviathan of Love. I got hold of an early mix of this album. The band broke up shortly before the album was released. Really great stuff worth checking out.  (I could not find any videos for this band but here is the bandcamp link

"Is it You?" by Drew Kohl

On previous Topical Thursdays, I have featured Taylor Alexander and his old band Young America.  Drew Kohl was the other half of Young America that relocated to Nashville back in 2014 (or so).  This is a track off Kohl's solo EP Sweetheart which I reviewed here and more No Depression.  One of my favorite singer-songwriters.

"ネオ東京 Underground" by Victor Love

Victor Love plays a hard form electronic music - that he calls cyber punk.  The title translates into Neo Tokyo Underground.  Neo Tokyo is a anime anthology film from 1987.  

"Off With My Head" by Seth Philpott

Seth Philpott is a Nashville based singer-songwriter that I wrote about back in 2013. This is a track from his album Bad Hearts - which came to me via Noisetrade - which was a common source of music for me in the earlier days of the blog. 

"Dead Letters" by Sealight

Sealight were an early Band of the Week during the first year of E2TG.  They also hold the distinction of being (I am pretty sure) the first CD I ever received in the mail for the blog. That CD of which this is the title track was mailed from France where the band is based. Here is the link to my review of the EP from back in December 2011. It was, I think, the first review I ever wrote.  

"Db Cooper Blues" by Clint Morgan

From the album Scofflaw, which came out last year.  I really loved this album and I find myself going back to it often.  The album touches on songs about crime and punishment.

"Home Sweet Home" by Taco Land

Taco Land was an early E2TG favorite. Taco Land is from Texas and as I once wrote: “Taco Land is everything you’d expect from a band from South Texas called Taco Land and nothing you’d expect from a band from South Texas called Taco Land” This is the title track from the band's 2014 album. 

"Boxes" by Grass Root Kids

And we close things out with a track from this short-lived Nashville band.  This is a track from the band's 2012 Loose Change album. The band was garnering a pretty strong following, but as happens with young people - lives moved in different directions. Some of the former members are still making music. Anyway, enjoy this listen to this brief moment of Nashville music history. 


VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment