Monday, February 26, 2018

Music City Monday Morning Shuffle - I Don't Even Try Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


I haven't been posting too much about current events here. I never wanted or intended to... but as you may be aware since last year, I have felt compelled. When I do make posts like this, I do not consider them political though some might. I believe there is value in all political viewpoints being heard and respected. I do not, however, there are things happening that go far beyond political differences.

I am proud of and support the young people speaking up about the cancer of gun violence which has gripped our country.  I am disgusted by those who attack, threaten or belittle these engaged young people.

On another note, as the Mueller investigation moves forward, we are clearly in uncharted territory as a nation. I don't know how this will end or even how it should end, but it is clear that our nation is and has been under attack and we need to do something.

Personally, I think our democracy is broken and needs to be repaired. I don't know how or if it will be repaired.  These are definitely interesting and troubling time.

The near constant barrage of information is overwhelming. I believe there is a concerted effort to instill a sense of chaos and confusion to keep American's back on their heels. I, for one, need to find solid ground.

As always, I turn to music as a solace.
***************************************************************************

I am super excited to announce that E2TG will be back at The 5 Spot every Thursday in June. We will be celebrating our seventh anniversary in style with a different awesome line up every week. I am currently finalizing acts and dates, but expect further announcements soon!

Now, it's Monday, and as you may know, on Monday, we shuffle up songs from Nashville's past and present.  We call it Music City Monday. Since the beginning of the new year, we have been shuffling up a special Spotify playlist made up of some of the awesome people who have called Nashville home.

If you want to explore the playlist at your own leisure, you do so HERE.  As always, when I post from Spotify, I remind you that if you hear music you love, go ahead and purchase it. Spotify is a tool for hearing music, but it does not, unfortunately pay artists well. Saving or downloading music on that site is not the same as buying the music.

Anyway, we have a cool list today - so let's shuffle!

"Quarter After 4" by Warner E. Hodges

We start things off with a track from the latest album by a guitarist I have been watching live for over 30 years.  I first saw him live at Cat's Records in 1985 and most recently saw him with a killer band at The 5 Spot in December.  The album features long time Nashville musicians like Brad Pemberton, Dan Baird,  Joe Blanton, Jerry Dale McFadden, and Elizabeth Cook along with Cheap Trick bassist Tom Petersson. Warner sure knows how to rock.
"Lost Highway" (Live) by Jason and the Scorchers

I swear, the shuffle did this not me, but I would have.  Next up, we have one of Warner's bands, Jason and the Scorchers with a live version of their cover of Leon Payne's song that was most famously covered by Hank Williams. This recording is from around the time I first saw the band live (at that aforementioned Cat's show). It is taken from the compilation Wildfires and Misfires. 

"Blackberry Blossom" by The Cactus Brothers

In posting some Walk the West songs recently, I have mentioned their off-shoot band, The Cactus Brothers. This is a traditional tune from the self-titled album by that band. Led by the late Paul Kirby and featuring fiddle player Tramp and the late, great dulcimer master David Schnaufer (among others) this band explored the roots of the music that inspired the raucous rock of Walk the West. 

"The Hills, The Trees and I" by Bill Lloyd

Bill Lloyd is another artist I have been seeing and listening to for over thirty years.  From his debut album Feeling the Elephant to his latest album It's Happening Now (which came out last year).  Lloyd has consistently been an important and respected part of the Nashville music community.  In addition to be a top-notch pop songwriter and producer, he was previously 1/2 of the hit country duo Foster and Lloyd, he leads the Long Players who recreate classic albums in a live setting with stellar guest singers and often with musicians who played on the original release. He has probably forgotten more about Nashville music history than I ever knew. 

"Trouble Comes" by Year of October

Next up, we have long-time E2TG favorites Year of October with the title track from their most recent album.  This band's sound has really evolved since I started following them several years ago. Josh Sullivan has developed into an incredible guitar player and lead singer Phlecia Sullivan vocals have likewise grown to match the band's harder sound. 

"I Don't Even Try" by John Hiatt

I had no idea when I first came across John Hiatt's Riding With the King album  (on cassette back in the mid 80s) that it was his sixth studio album.  Nor did I know that his best and most well-known music was ahead of him. I just knew I loved this album. 

"Pretty Bird" by Wild Ponies

Wild Ponies are a local treasure. Everytime, I see them live, I am reminded how music I love their music and their spirit. For this, their latest album (Galax), they visited the fertile musical ground of Galax Virginia. They brought along some amazing Nashville players (like Fats Kaplin and Will Kimbrough) and met up with some of the old-time players from Galax. The result is perhaps their best record, and one I never grow tired to hearing. 

"Too Much of a Good Thing" by Walk the West

I mentioned Walk the West earlier in this shuffle - so let's wrap up with Music City Monday shuffle with this track from their self-titled album. 

Nashville IS Music City USA, and for all it's flaws and growing pains and excesses - as a music fan, I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be. 


No comments:

Post a Comment