Thursday, October 18, 2018

Trending Tuesday Morning Shuffle - Famous to Me Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

All of this happened a long time ago when the world was a very different place. Of course, none of us knew that at the time.
(From The Drift - A Novel by Joe Wolfe-Mazeres) Available at Amazon.com (Kindle edition also available)

If you have read The Drift, please consider writing a review on Amazon. If you haven't read it, you can get your own copy through Amazon or if you are in Nashville, you can get them from me.







I am continuing to work on my Spotify playlists for E2TG.  So far, I have completed seven - January - July2018.  These are meant to be a cross-section of music I featured during those months - not necessarily music released in those months.   If you are interested, you can check out the playlists (links below)  and follow my personal profile to find out when new playlists are created.

E2TG January 2018
E2TG February 2018
E2TG March 2018
E2TG April 2018 
E2TG May 2018
E2TG June 2018
E2TG July 2018
E2TG August 2018 
(coming soon!)
E2TG September 2018  (coming soon!)

SAVE THE DATE!!!!!  Thursday, November 15, 2018 - We have a pretty cool event in the works.  More to come!



The other night, I found myself, lamenting my lot in life or at least some aspects of my lot in life. Almost automatically, I started to mentally tick off a list of things that are good about my life. This wasn't always an automatic response. It literally took me years, and it's still not always automatic - but it often kicks in fairly quickly.  In religion, they call it "counting your blessings", in the recovery communities, they call it "a gratitude list". The thing is, more often than not, it works for me. 

An aside, I am aware that for some with serious issues of clinical depression or other conditions, the solution is rarely this simple. But, it is one tool (among many) that just may help.

Regardless of all the hard times, bad decisions, pain, and struggles that it took for me to be where I am, the fact is, I am a music fan - who has a choice to go see great live music anytime I want to.  I have a music blog that allows me to meet all sorts of cool people from all over the world.

I also have a radio show that I have been doing for over two years with one of my favorite people in the world (Sue Havlish) on the BEST RADIO STATION in Nashville (as voted by the Readers of the Nashville Scene - for the second year in a row!!!!!!!). That is amazing.

So, while my life is so far from perfect that I can't even imagine what perfect looks like, it is still pretty damn good.

Onward, we move back into the "New Music" playlist.  We have a few "first listens" and overall, a pretty wild and diverse shuffle - so, let's do it!


"Precious" by Polly Panic

First up, we have our first listen to Losing Form, the new album by Polly Panic - an Asheville, North Carolina based cellist/rocker. Polly Panic is a member of the New York based all-cello rock band Rasputina. This was my first listen, and I can't wait to hear more. Great stuff. 

"Fragments" by Whispering Sons
Next up, we have another first listen, this is from Belgian post-punk band, Whispering Sons - from their full-length debut Image which is due out tomorrow. Since the album is not out, I couldn't find a video for this track, but I have posted a video from another song on the album which has been released.  Great to welcome another European band into the E2TG "fold". Expect to hear and read more. 

"Fungus/Chungus" by The Velveteen Jumping Beans

We're Here for a Good Reason - the album from which this track comes - was presented to me as a "lost" Discount Ravioli album. In fact, it does appear on the Discount Ravioli bandcamp page, and it kind of sounds like Discount Ravioli in a way, so I will take it at face value. This track tells the history of fungus - which was invented in 1976 (apparently) and the related product chungus which was invented in 1981.  It's interesting to me that to the young members of The Velveteen Jumping Beans, 1976 and 1981 seem as distant and fantastical as say 1946 or 1951 seems to me.  Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I have any conscious relocation of fungus prior to 1976, so...  

"143" by Caroline Cotter

Next, we swing back to more... um traditional song structures with our penultimate track to feature from Home on the River by singer-songwriter Caroline Cotter of Portland, Maine.  We have been featuring this album for some time.  It is among my favorites of 2018.

"Afterthought" by The Mutineers

From Portland, Maine to Portland, Oregon, we next have a track from Threshold the latest release from the duo known as The Mutineers. They play Americana rock laced with a punk spirit. Great stuff.  

"More Than Memories" by Matt Campbell

Next, we have our first listen to The Man With Everything by Nashville singer-songwriter Matt Campbell. The album is due out November 9 - it's being released by our friends at Flour Sack Cape Records. Campbell is originally from Colorado, but his mark on Nashville's music community is already indelibly sealed. As an officer of American Legion Post 82, Campbell was instrumental in leading the revival of the Post as a hub of Nashville's country music scene. This new album sounds fantastic.  In the video playlist, we have a version of this song from an earlier release, but keep you ear out for the new album - coming soon. 

"Florence" by Claudio Conti

We continue to make our way through the fantastic Garnet Dusk album by Claudio Conti - an Italian singer-songwriter - who has spent considerable time in the U.S. - California and Chicago - specifically.  We have been featuring this album for some time, and I love it. 

"Famous to Me" by Justin and the Cosmics

We close with two juicy bits of Nashville rock and roll.  First, we have another track from the PERF album by Justin and the Cosmics.  The album, as we have mentioned, was recorded at Ardent Studios in Memphis with Pat Sansone (Wilco, Autumn Defence) producing.  Hearing Justin and the Cosmics always brightens my day. 

"Holding Me Down" by Jon Worthy

My first introduction to Jon Worth was playing a solo set at Springwater, so it took me a while to get that he is a rocker at heart. His release Only a Dream solidified that understanding, and this is a great rock song from that release. Catch him playing live with his band, The Bends. 


VIDEO PLAYLIST






No comments:

Post a Comment