Friday, September 21, 2018

Featured Friday Morning Shuffle - Keepers of the Gloom Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

All of this happened a long time ago when the world was a very different place. Of course, none of us knew that at the time.
(From The Drift - A Novel by Joe Wolfe-Mazeres) Available at Amazon.com (Kindle edition also available)





I am continuing to work on my Spotify playlists for E2TG.  So far, I have completed seven - January - July2018.  These are meant to be a cross-section of music I featured during those months - not necessarily music released in those months.   If you are interested, you can check out the playlists (links below)  and follow my personal profile to find out when new playlists are created.

E2TG January 2018
E2TG February 2018
E2TG March 2018
E2TG April 2018 
E2TG May 2018
E2TG June 2018
E2TG July 2018
E2TG August 2018 (coming soon!)


Sometimes, I wonder if people really believe my shuffles are totally random - based upon the songs I have saved to a particular playlist...   My new music playlist has 619 songs currently - with more waiting to be added - as I slowly dig myself out of the AMA week hole. So, on Tuesday, Thursday, and Fridays, I pull up that playlist and hit shuffle. The shuffle has a mind of its own, but I have decided to trust the shuffle.  Anyway, so some albums I have loaded take longer to show up in a shuffle, and some show up seemingly every day or every other day.

It's Friday - let's get to the shuffle.  These past two days, we have had some fairly long songs show up. Since my commute is more or less the same every day, longer songs means few songs. Yesterday, we had five, and today we have six. On average, we have eight or nine most days.  Again, I trust the shuffle - it all works out.  Let's go!


"The Rain Song" by In the Light of Led Zeppelin

We start things off with a fairly long song (nearly eight minutes). This is from The Pompeii Sessions by Led Zeppelin tribute band, In the Light of Led Zeppelin. The band re-imagines classic Led Zeppelin songs through the filter of the later solo work of Robert Plant and Jimmy Page. House of Holy - the album from which the original came - already reflects some of Eastern influences found in the early solo work of both men. It is also one of my favorite albums. I do have to say, my brain was prepared to hear Robert Plant's vocals, and so I was briefly a bit put off when the vocals started. However, once I adjusted, I really dug this. Vocalist Scott Board is a strong vocalist. 

"To the Sun" by Rude Audio

Next up, we have another track from the Rude Redux EP.  Rude Audio are a collection of musicians based in South London. They combine electronic music with live instruments to create a unique and quite wonderful sound. Check out the cool video for this track. 
"Stephanie Sleeps" by Clay Harper

When I used to visit a friend in Atlanta, we would often eat at Fellini's Pizza in Little Five Points. Clay Harper - of the popular Atlanta band, The Coolies founded Fellini's in 1982 (just a few years before I was visiting). The album is, as the title suggests, both bleak and beautiful. This is a wonderful instrumental track. The album was released back in May. It is one of the best and most unique records, I have heard this year. 

"Someday" by The Zealots

Next up, we have another track from Jawbone by Asheville band The Zealots - led by our friend George Terry McDonald. The album includes a guest appearance by the one and only Dex Romweber (of Flat Duo Jets) and it is propulsive surf inspired rock and roll music. 
"Love is the Answer" by Christine Rosander

Next, we have a stunningly beautiful song from California singer-songwriter Christine Rosander. The album has received praise from Mary Gauthier and Joe Henry among others. In a world starved for love, this is an important message. 

"Jagged Tooth Crook" by The Mouse Outfit (feat. Kinkai)

And, we close with the title track from the album by Manchester hip hop group - The Mouse Outfit. Here they are joined by a fellow Manchester artist - singer/rapper Kinkai.  I don't know a ton about hip hop in general or Manchester hip hop in particular, however, based upon what I have heard from this album, I am impressed. 

VIDEO PLAYLIST





No comments:

Post a Comment