Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Wild Wednesday Morning Shuffle - AndaBuckNStuffToYouAsWell Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


All of this happened a long time ago when the world was a very different place. Of course, none of us knew that at the time.
(From The Drift - A Novel by Joe Wolfe-Mazeres) Available at Amazon.com (Kindle edition also available)






I am continuing to work on my Spotify playlists for E2TG.  So far, I have completed seven - January - July2018.  These are meant to be a cross-section of music I featured during those months - not necessarily music released in those months.   If you are interested, you can check out the playlists (links below)  and follow my personal profile to find out when new playlists are created.

E2TG January 2018
E2TG February 2018
E2TG March 2018
E2TG April 2018 
E2TG May 2018

E2TG June 2018 
E2TG July 2018 

E2TG August 2018 (coming soon!)


Life sure is crazy.  I feel like I am constantly busy and never seem to get anything done.  I did manage to get some music added to my "New Music" playlist. Some of that new music shows up today - along with some older stuff - because this is Wednesday - which we call "Wild Wednesday"  It's a shuffle of all 2,500+ songs stored on my phone memory card. 


I am desperately trying to get things done this week because next week is Americana Fest week, and I know from experience I don't get much done that week.  More on that later.



"Production" by Klammer

First up, we have another track from You Have Been Processed by Leeds bank Klammer - who inject some darkness and post-punk energy into our shuffle. 
"The Devil is You" by Collins Drive


I try very hard to make sure all of the metatags are updated when I load music into my phone.  Sometimes, files I receive do not have the proper meta tags, and when I don't fix it - songs get lost in the shuffle. Such - I think is the case with this self-titled album by Atlanta band Collins Drive. It showed up today in the shuffle with just the song title listed - fortunately Shazam was able to help me identify the song. I see that I received this last year, and now I am really regretting that I didn't get to this sooner. I really dig this. The band's influences include some of my all-time favorite music - influences cited - which I can hear include Kevn Kinney, The Band, Whiskeytown and more. I guess better late than never.  


"Angel Breakdown" by Some Kind of llness

The great thing about Wild Wednesdays is that we sometimes get to revisit albums that we featured a good while back. Such is the case, with the self-titled album from Manchester band Some Kind of Illness. This album was released in 2015, and we first featured it late in that year. The band formed in 1999.

"Tiny Moses" by The Rough and Tumble
And sometimes, things come up on Wild Wednesdays that I didn't even know I had.  The Rough and Tumble are a heavy touring duo that call East Nashville home when they aren't touring. This is a track from their album - We Made Ourselves a Home When We Didn't Know which I just noticed features and was produced by our friend Dave Coleman. The album was released earlier this year, and this was a nice surprise when it showed up today.

"Blue, Red, and Gray" by The Who

Next up, we have one of my favorite songs by The Who. This was originally included on their album The Who by Numbers. It is, I think, a lovely song.

"I Want to Be Free" by Tim Carroll
Next, we have another track from the latest album by East Nashville stalwart Tim Carroll.  His album is called Keeping Time, and it includes some of the incredible new songs that Carroll has been introducing during his weekly Happy Hour show at The 5 Spot every Friday.  Carroll is a prolific songwriter - who has built an incredible repertoire over the years - that allows him to play for two to two and half hours straight every week of all original music - with ever changing list of songs.  
"You Left the Water Running" by Jimmy Hall with Steve Cropper

Next up, we have a song co-written by the great Dan Penn (along with Rick Hall and Oscar Franks). It was recorded by Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, and more. This recording is from a tribute album to Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham which was released a couple of years ago. This version features long time Nashville great Jimmy Hall (Wet Willie) and the legendary guitarist with Booker T. and the MGs - Steve Cropper. 

"Vanishing Spell" by The Pull of Autumn

Next up, we have a first listen to the recently released - self-titled album by Boston based supergroup - The Pull of Autumn.  The Pull of Autumn features members of Fashion, Johanna's House of Glamour, and former Throwing Muses member Fred Abong - whose solo album we are also featuring right now. This is a true first listen - loaded up last night - and I can't wait to hear and right about more of this. 

"Foolin' Around" by Buck N Stuff

Next up, we have Buck N Stuff with a cover of a - believe it or not - a Buck Owens song. As you may recall, Buck N Stuff are the self-proclaimed Saviors of Country Muisc - which coincidentally is also the name of their debut album.  The album was recorded Live at The American Legion Post 82.  Coincidentally, the album is subtitled Live at the American Legion Post 82.  The band is known for their off-beat takes on the songs of Buck Owens and other classic country songs - but mostly Buck Owens. 

"Waitout" by A Shoreline Dream

We close things out with the title track from Colorado based Dream pop band - A Shoreline Dream. The band released their debut album in 2006.  This was a nice moody, atmospheric song to close out the shuffle. 



VIDEO PLAYLIST









No comments:

Post a Comment