Thursday, September 20, 2018

Trending Thursday Morning Shuffle - Nineteen Thirty-Two Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

All of this happened a long time ago when the world was a very different place. Of course, none of us knew that at the time.
(From The Drift - A Novel by Joe Wolfe-Mazeres) Available at Amazon.com (Kindle edition also available)






I am continuing to work on my Spotify playlists for E2TG.  So far, I have completed seven - January - July2018.  These are meant to be a cross-section of music I featured during those months - not necessarily music released in those months.   If you are interested, you can check out the playlists (links below)  and follow my personal profile to find out when new playlists are created.

E2TG January 2018
E2TG February 2018
E2TG March 2018
E2TG April 2018 
E2TG May 2018
E2TG June 2018
E2TG July 2018
E2TG August 2018 (coming soon!)







A few years ago, it was a big thing for me to hit several different venues in one night. I even saw it as a point of pride one night when I hit four venues in one night (or was it five?). Please understand, I don't mean to put down anyone who does that - or even myself - I was trying to see as much music as I could and see as many friends play as I could in one night - and it was fun and a bit exhilarating. I would like, however, to explain why I no longer do this very often - a big reason I stopped actively doing that is that my approach was to figure out approximately when my friend or friends were going on and time my arrivals and departures accordingly.  In doing this, I rarely saw an entire set and more importantly, I rarely saw any "new to me" music. 

A couple of years ago, I went to see a friend play - I got there when the show started and I think I stayed until the end. And I "discovered" a couple of "new to me" artists that night who have become favorites. One of those is Josh Gray. I remember being immediately impressed by his songs. When he he did a cover of the Dead Milkmen song, "Punk Rock Girl" - the deal was sealed and I was a fan. I know it may seem silly to listen to an original songwriter - who writes wonderful songs - and then to say that the clincher was a cover, but to me, it was an indication that his musical roots ran deeper than the typical singer-songwriter genre. I have been fortunate enough to see him perform live a number of times since, and he never fails to impress.  Gray released an EP in 2015, and he is preparing to embark on making his first full-length album now, and he has started a Kickstarter campaign to help fund the project. He has a ton of great incentives, and he seems to be off to a strong start.

If you feel so moved, check out his campaign. HERE 


We have only five songs in the shuffle today. My drive was not any shorter than usual, but there were several longish songs included. Today's shuffle has a couple of "first listens".  Check it out!




"Rain Falls Down in Amsterdam" by Eric Andersen

We continue to make our way through The Essential Eric Andersen compilation. Today, we have a track from Andersen's Memory of the Future album.  It is a powerful song about Nazis throughout recent history.  The scary/sad thing is that this song is twenty years old, and it is as relevant today as I was then - maybe more so. 

"Waitin' on Jack" by Mark Currey

I am not able to answer every message I receive. I have accepted this fact, but it still bothers me, because I know there are  worthy and wonderful albums and artists that slip by me. I am really glad I got the message from Arkansas singer-songwriter Mark Currey.  He initially contacted me about a show he was doing here in Nashville - with some fave local folks. Unfortunately, I ended up being out of town when that show happened, but fortunately, I got hold of Currey's remarkable Tarrant County album. Currey is a wonderful songwriter, and I really was digging this song this morning. 

"I've Got the Bottle" by The Mutineers

Next up, we have a first listen. The Mutineers are a husband and wife duo based in Portland, Oregon. They play rollicking roots based music with a punk rock spirit. This is a track from their recently released EP called Threshold.  They are in the midst of a nation-wide tour. They are in Milwaukee tonight with Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and more on their itinerary.   

"Modern God" by Klammer

Next up, we have another excellent track from the darkly powerful album You Have Been Possessed. I have been digging this album, and this was a great addition to my shuffle. 

"Storm" by Beauty in Chaos

We close with a first listen to the first single from Finding Beauty in Chaos from L.A. darkwave, goth band Beauty in Chaos.  The album features  a assembly of guest musicians including members and former members of The Cure, Cheap Trick, Ministry, Flock of Seagulls, and more. This first single - features Ashton Nyte - a South African musician currently base on St. Louis, MO.  The album is due out a week from tomorrow. 

VIDEO PLAYLIST




No comments:

Post a Comment