Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Wild Wednesday Morning Shuffle - Addicted to the Rhythm Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


All of this happened a long time ago when the world was a very different place. Of course, none of us knew that at the time.
(From The Drift - A Novel by Joe Wolfe-Mazeres) Available at Amazon.com (Kindle edition also available)





I am continuing to work on my Spotify playlists for E2TG.  So far, I have completed seven - January - July2018.  These are meant to be a cross-section of music I featured during those months - not necessarily music released in those months.   If you are interested, you can check out the playlists (links below)  and follow my personal profile to find out when new playlists are created.

E2TG January 2018
E2TG February 2018
E2TG March 2018
E2TG April 2018 
E2TG May 2018
E2TG June 2018
E2TG July 2018
E2TG August 2018 (coming soon!)



I am a bit overwhelmed with everything going on the world and in my more narrow world and in my life personally.  There always seems like there is too much that must, should, and/or could be done. I get overwhelmed when I see all these things around me and I don't know where or how to begin.  The thing is, I know it always just starts with doing one good, just, kind thing and then one more and so on.

I am trying to prepare for a move, in just over a month.  Last night, I looked at everything that needs to be done before I move, and I was overwhelmed.  But then I just started doing something. It might not be the best or most important thing, but it was something that needed to be done.

I didn't write E2TG for seven plus years all at once, I did it one day at a time.

Just some thoughts on this dreary Wednesday in Nashville.

Now, because it is Wednesday - we have a shuffle that comes from all of the songs saved to my phone's memory card.

Let's go!


"Move With Me" (Dub) by Neneh Cherry

First up, we have another track from the soundtrack to the film, Until the End of the World. This song would later appear on Neneh Cherry's album Homebrew a couple of years later. What has always struck me about this album is how despite the variety of artists (Talking Heads, Nick Cave, Crime and the City, Solution, Nenah Cherry, R.E.M., U2, Elvis Costello, Patti Smith, Can, Lou Reed etc.) the soundtrack as a cohesive sound (or at least a cohesive mood) that fits the tone of the film very well (on a side note, I would love to watch the film again as it has been a number of years). 

"maybe next summer but I'm not sure" by Discount Ravioli

Next we have a ten plus minute track from E2TG faves Discount Ravioli.  This track is from the 2016 release called come looj with us. It is an extended jam with minimalist vocals. Discount Ravioli is a side project of The Foresters. Only three musicians are credited here - which I take to be Evan and Hayden Nork and their friend, the artist Shady Sam.   

"Let the Big World Spin" by Will Kimbrough

Will Kimbrough is a Nashville treasure. He is a top-notch guitar player/side man, and he is also an experienced bandleader and one hell of a songwriter.  As evidence, we have this song from his 2014 album Sideshow Love. I have been a fan of Will Kimbrough for over thirty years. I have fond memories of a last minute drive to Nashville (on a misty night in a convertible with the top down). Later, my daughters and Will's oldest daughter were in the special care nursery together. And a few years after that, my daughter and his daughter were best friends in pre-school. 

"Black Flag Blues" by Adam Carroll

Next, from Old Town Rock N Roll, we have one of my favorite Adam Carroll songs.  This song was included on the (fairly) recent Adam Carroll tribute album - as covered by our friends Aaron Lee Tasjan and Tim Easton. 

"Work, Sleep, Repeat" by Ben Bostick

The only "new" song in this Wild Wednesday shuffle - L.A. singer-songwriter Ben Bostick.  His album Hellfire is one of my favorites of the year. Just flat out great songwriting - with distinctive vocals and wonderful music. 

  "Stone Soul Picnic" by Laura Nyro

I was relatively late in getting into the music of the late Lauro Nyro, but I am a fan now. This song was included on her second album Eli and the Thirteenth Confession (1968). It was famously recorded by The Fifth Dimension. Nyro died in 1997 at the age of 49.


VIDEO PLAYLIST


No comments:

Post a Comment