Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Trending Tuesday Morning Shuffle - Rebirth of Sorts Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

All of this happened a long time ago when the world was a very different place. Of course, none of us knew that at the time.
(From The Drift - A Novel by Joe Wolfe-Mazeres) Available at Amazon.com (Kindle edition also available)






I am continuing to work on my Spotify playlists for E2TG.  So far, I have completed seven - January - July2018.  These are meant to be a cross-section of music I featured during those months - not necessarily music released in those months.   If you are interested, you can check out the playlists (links below)  and follow my personal profile to find out when new playlists are created.

E2TG January 2018
E2TG February 2018
E2TG March 2018
E2TG April 2018 
E2TG May 2018
E2TG June 2018
E2TG July 2018
E2TG August 2018 (coming soon!)



First off, you may or may not have noticed, but I made an adjustment to the name of this blog and our associated Facebook page. Basically, I officially added E2TG as a part of the blog name.  The reason being, I am finally dealing with a problem I've been aware of for some time. Namely, that there is another music site called Ear to the Ground. I'm not even going to get into the which one came first game. Ear to the Ground is a fairly common saying, and it is not surprising that I am not the only person to think to call a music site Ear to the Ground. I have been aware of this for a long time. It was the impetus for my beginning to use the E2TG designation more and more. If that other site was covering completely different music, it would not be a problem, however, there does seem to be some overlap in the music we cover.  As a result, there have been moments of confusion - like my Facebook being tagged for their posts.  Basically, I have been procrastinating about dealing with this. What prompted me to act, is that the other site seems to have a very formalized submission process, and it appears that some people have been submitting music there thinking it was coming to me.

I don't know if this change will help with either of these issues, but it is a first attempt. For the record, E2TG is all about sharing music I have discovered through a variety of means. Most of my music comes from publicists (most often from those I've come to trust), artists themselves, or recommendations from other artists and/or other music lovers.

The bottom line is that I have nothing but positive thoughts for anyone who makes a effort to spread the word about new and emerging music. What the other site does seems to be different than what I do. My goal is to just prevent as much confusion as possible.

Enough, sorry for getting off track, I've just put off dealing with this for too long.

Last night, I added over 100 tracks to my new music playlist. I don't think any of them came up today, but they will soon.


"Rustbelt" by Voice of Addiction

What better way to kick off a dreary Tuesday morning than with some high energy socially conscious punk rock music. We are still making out way through The Lost Art of Empathy by this band from Chicago. You may recall me mentioning that Voice of Addiction were the subject/stars of the recent film Punk Band - the movie. Check it out. 

" Aster" by Claudio Conti

Next up, we have another track from Garnet Dusk but Italian born/international singer-songwriter Claudio Conti. Conti's music is original while bringing to mind some of the great songwriters of the last century. It is beautiful, artful music. 

"Christian Says" by Poptone

Next up, we have another track from the self-titled album by Poptone. This is the band started by Daniel Ash and Kevin Haskins of Bauhaus, Love and Rockets, and Tones on Tail.  The band also features Haskins daughter Diva Dompe. This new bands stated goal is to revisit and re-imagine the impressive back catalog of both groups. "Christian Says" was originally a 1984 single by Tones on Tail.  

"Raggedy Andy Williams" by Benjamin Jason Douglas

I think Benjamin Jason Douglas is a brilliant songwriter. His songs are unconventional and clearly avoid some common songwriting tropes. That is a wonderful thing in my opinion. Raggedy Andy Williams transcends the clever wordplay of the title and hits some sharp (albeit not obvious) points. Having now seen Douglas perform with a full-band, I can fully appreciated the brilliance of his songs. 

"Tipperary Waltz" by Patrick Bergin

Patrick Bergin is an Irish actor and singer. As an actor, he is best known to American audiences for his role in the 1991 film Sleeping with the Enemy and to UK audiences for his more recent role as the villainous Aidan Maguire in the long running British soap opera EastEnders.  Tipperary is a county in Ireland. I know it best from the song, "It's a Long Way to Tipperary".  That song was a recruiting song used during World War I. This original song's intent was to deal with the violent and harsh realities of war. It is a powerful song. 

"Shrouded Sun" by Ashleigh Flynn and the Riveters

I was so thrilled to get to see and talk to Ashleigh Flynn during Americana Fest, and to have the opportunity to personally tell her how much I am enjoying her latest album - the self-titled debut of her new band Ashleigh Flynn and the Riveters. Like Patrick Bergin's song this band and album draw inspiration from a world war - in this case, the real and symbolic Rosie the Riveters - powerful women who joined the male-dominated workforce and who kicked serious butt. The album was produced by Chris Funk of The Decemberists. The album was released last Friday - and it was already one of my favorites for the year. Check it out!  

VIDEO PLAYLIST




No comments:

Post a Comment