Friday, September 28, 2018

Featured Friday Morning Shuffle - Hiding In Time Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

All of this happened a long time ago when the world was a very different place. Of course, none of us knew that at the time.
(From The Drift - A Novel by Joe Wolfe-Mazeres) Available at Amazon.com (Kindle edition also available)






I am continuing to work on my Spotify playlists for E2TG.  So far, I have completed seven - January - July2018.  These are meant to be a cross-section of music I featured during those months - not necessarily music released in those months.   If you are interested, you can check out the playlists (links below)  and follow my personal profile to find out when new playlists are created.

E2TG January 2018
E2TG February 2018
E2TG March 2018
E2TG April 2018 
E2TG May 2018
E2TG June 2018
E2TG July 2018
E2TG August 2018 (coming soon!)



I was trying to write my thoughts about yesterday, but I was having trouble verbalizing...

I believe women (and men) who say they were sexually assaulted. Do false accusations happen? Absolutely. Do those false accusations cause me to disbelieve the next victim who comes forward? Absolutely not. Should someone be convicted and jailed based solely on the word of a victim. Of course not.  Should the matter be investigated? Absolutely.

Should someone be handed a lifetime appointment with accusations hanging over them without an investigation? Absolutely not.

The most disturbing thing of all is seeing the fundamental lack of basic humanity on display in Congress and in my Facebook feed. It is one thing to support the nomination and entirely another to shame and attack the woman who made the accusation. Those who support the nominee and believe him to be innocent should be the ones screaming the loudest for an investigation - but they are not.

Bottom line, the behavior of the nominee in yesterday's hearing should be disqualifying regardless of the veracity of the claims against him. 

And the other thing... I am a huge proponent of laughter and humor as an antidote for stressful times, and I have had some humorous thoughts pop into my head over this current stress. But, I have chosen not to post these jokes - even jokes I think of as harmless or with no bad intention. For the record, "spin the bottle" and writing notes to ask a classmate if they like you or not - have nothing at all to do with sexual assault or rape. NOTHING.

Bottom line, to anyone reading this who has been a victim of sexual abuse or rape, I stand with you. I hear you. I believe you.

Okay - I still believe music heals so let's get to the music.....


"Love Songs" by Brandi and the Alexanders

I am super-excited to have a first listen today from How Do You Like It? from New York soul/rock and roll band Brandi and the Alexanders. This is fresh off their showcase at this year's Americana Fest. The album is due out in one week, and so we don't have a video for today's song. Instead, I picked a timely song/video for the title track from the album.  Looking forward to digging deeper into this album.

"Only a Player" by Tim Carroll

It's Friday, that means at six o'clock or so, Tim Carroll will be cranking up his Rock N Roll Happy Hour at The 5 Spot in East Nashville. It's a no cover, all rock event - one of the best this city has to offer.  As I have mentioned before, Carroll is a prolific songwriter with a huge catalog of original songs. You never hear the set twice with him.  This is track from his latest album Keeping Time. 

"Hiding" by Cordova

I guess summer is officially over, and we had temperatures in the 50s this morning, but today we have a hard rocking song from Runaway Summer the latest release by New Mexico band Cordova. 

"Sailed Away (Reprise)" by Andrew Reed

Next up, we have our final track to feature from the album If All the World Was Right, by singer-songwriter Andrew Reed. This is a reprise of a song we featured previously.  Reed is a somewhat elusive and interesting artist, and I am glad I got the chance to feature his music. 

"Can't See Me in this Light" by Rich Krueger

We previously posted a track from NOWThen by Chicago singer-songwriter Rich Krueger. I got to meet him during Americana earlier this month, and he gave me a copy of his previous release - Life Ain't That Long.  The album is recent enough to still be included in my "New Music" list - so I did.  Check out both of these releases. I have become a big fan of Rich Krueger.  Check him out, and I expect you will be a fan, too. 

"Cutter Blues" by Justin and the Cosmics

Nothing makes a Friday shuffle more complete than a track from one of my absolute favorite Nashville bands. Justin and the Cosmics are an incredible live band. Led by Justin Collins (of Cosmic Thug Productions), the band recently released the album PERF which was recorded at Ardent Studio in Memphis and produced by the band and Pat Sansone (Wilco, Autumn Defense). I love this band, I love this album. 

"In Time" by Hilary Scott

Next, we have another first listen - this by singer-songwriter Hilary Scott from the forthcoming Don't Call Me Angel (October 12). This was my first real listen, but I am already hooked. I want to hear more, and I expect to have more to say soon. 

"Miss Ya Baby Blues" by Danny Sandock

We have been anticipating Danny Sandock's 5th album Throwin' Me for a Loop for some time.  This track from that album was one of the first we received. I've actually had the album for a little while now, but it has just not come up on my shuffle until today. It's too bad, and hopefully now, that it has broken out we will be hearing more. This song is at it's a heart a rock and roll record. It is certainly roots oriented rock, but it is rock and roll nonetheless. Great to have Danny Sandock back in the shuffle. 


VIDEO PLAYLIST


No comments:

Post a Comment