Friday, June 1, 2018

Featured Friday Morning Shuffle - Dreaming of Snakes Mix




Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

My novel, The Drift is out now!  Paperback or Kindle (Buy the paperback and get a Kindle version for just $.99)




E2TG 7th Anniversary Residency is coming in June to The 5 Spot! The first night is LESS THAN ONE WEEK away.  Come early for Clark Paterson, Rayvon Pettis, and The Big Dumb. 










As you may be aware, for the past two years, I have been fortunate enough to co-host a radio show (Double Shot with Joe and Sue) along with my good friend Sue Havlish on WXNA-LP Nashville. This experience has been one of the most wonderful of my life. 


WXNA went on the air just under two years ago. It is a low-power, all-volunteer community, non-profit radio station, and it has taken this city by storm. I am so proud to be a part of it. It is time for the Spring Pledge Drive.  WXNA is People Powered Radio and relies on the generous support of the community to keep things going.  You investment (small or large) pays off everyday - by helping the station to keep on providing a home for independently programmed shows covering a variety of musical genres and topics of interest and benefit to the community.  The drive runs through Saturday at midnight. You can donate at wxnafm.org or by calling 615-933-WXNA (9962). 


Also, WXNA is throwing a huge birthday bash Sunday at The Basement on 8th Avenue from 3-6pm.  I don't know many details yet, but I will share them when I do. Nevertheless, I hope folks in Nashville will come out - this is a celebration of what YOU have helped to make happen. 






It is FRIDAY!  It has been a very weird week - holiday on Monday, working from home Tuesday, plus other things... I'm ready for a bit of reset - and then next week - I can hop back in... lot's going on!

I loved today's shuffle- a couple of first listens plus some other new and relatively new things... a wide variety of music from all over the world - in other words everything a good music shuffle needs.  Let's do it!


"Snake's a Snake" by The Two Man Travelling Medicine Show

We start with a first listen from UK country/punk band The Two Man Travelling Medicine Show.  This is the first taste of their follow-up to their 2017 debut album, Weeding Out the Wicked.  This is a wonderful song. Snappy and fun with the right amount of punk energy. I look forwarding to hearing much more from this band. 


"Never Looking Back" by The Scrags

Another first listen, from Stockholm based punk/psych/garage band The Scrags from their forthcoming album Anything (June 29).  The band is signed to Canadian label The Grizzlar. Following a tour of Canada, the band recorded this album - mostly live to tape - to capture the energy of their live performances. Upon first listen, I believe it worked, and I look forward to featuring more of this album (including a second track later in the shuffle)!

"Dreamland" by Rodney Cromwell

UK indie-pop, lo-fi synth-pop, and very musical artist Rodney Cromwell is up next with another track from Rodney's English Disco which was released one week ago. Rodney Cromwell (real name Adam Cresswell) is one of my favorite "new discoveries" of the last couple of years. 

"Honky Tonk Singer" by Speedbuggy USA

Next, we have the first single from L.A. cowpunk outfit  Speedbuggy USA from their forthcoming Kick Out the Twang album.  This is shaping up to be one of my favorite albums of the year, and this is definitely a stand-out track from the album. In the 1980s, this kid from Middle Tennessee heard country from an early age, eschewed it for punk/new wave - only to be lead back to it by "punk" bands like X, Jason & the Scorchers, Rank and File, Long Ryders, and many more. So, this kind of music holds a special place in my heart.  
"Slow Down" by Chris J. Connolly

Chris J. Connolly released Moving Maps back in October. This was one, I downloaded and uploaded to my phone - but we didn't have a track appear until a week or so ago. And I subsequently kicked myself for having taken so long to hear. Really wonderful songs and a great sound. I was just going back to the e-mail submission I received, and I noticed that Chris J. Connolly's live band features Pete Mancini whose name came up recently in conversation (but I can't remember for sure who I was talking to). Anyway, just another example of how music is call connected. 

"Little Hiccup" by Cup

I got into Brooklyn hard rock band Cup fairly recently - I guess at the tail end of their promotion for their album Hiccup - from which this song is taken. The follow-up Jitter Visions was more recently released - so I am featuring both in my new music playlist. I have come to really like this band a lot. Check them out!

"Whole Again" by The Scrags

And we close out the first shuffle of June and the last shuffle of the week - with a second track from Anything by Swedish punk/psych band The Scrags. 



VIDEO PLAYLIST









No comments:

Post a Comment