Thursday, November 8, 2018

Trending Thursday Morning Shuffle - You Afraid Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Words No Music A Reading coming Thursday, November 15, 2018 6:30pm Radio Cafe Nashville. No Cover, tips accepted and books will be for sale. We have an incredible line-up featuring David Olney,  Rod Picott, Luke Powers, Rebecca Weiner Tompkins, and yours truly. All but me are incredible musicians and songwriters, but for this show - they will let their words speak for them without music.  I will be reading from The Drift plus some selections from a forthcoming book.   FACEBOOK EVENT HERE!

All of this happened a long time ago when the world was a very different place. Of course, none of us knew that at the time.
(From The Drift - A Novel by Joe Wolfe-Mazeres) Available at Amazon.com (Kindle edition also available)

If you have read The Drift, please consider writing a review on Amazon. If you haven't read it, you can get your own copy through Amazon or if you are in Nashville, you can get them from me.








I am continuing to work on my Spotify playlists for E2TG.  So far, I have completed seven - January - July2018.  These are meant to be a cross-section of music I featured during those months - not necessarily music released in those months.   If you are interested, you can check out the playlists (links below)  and follow my personal profile to find out when new playlists are created.

E2TG January 2018
E2TG February 2018
E2TG March 2018
E2TG April 2018 
E2TG May 2018
E2TG June 2018
E2TG July 2018
E2TG August 2018 
(coming soon!)
E2TG September 2018  (coming soon!)
E2TG October 2018  (coming soon!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man, I sure am glad that with the election over we can have a period of calm regarding politics... oh wait - never mind. 

Meanwhile, another day, another mass shooting. Another round of "thoughts and prayers" but no concrete action to change anything.  I'll be honest, while I am tired of "thoughts and prayers" in the absence of any concrete action - I am also not fond of those who take that as an opportunity to attack the concept of prayer or faith in general.  When it comes to people praying for an outcome and the failing to take action - in any situation, it is like the person who is stranded in the middle of the ocean and prays for rescue - and when a ship and helicopter comes to save him, he turns them away saying God is going to save him. Then, he drowns and he asks God why he wasn't saved - God says, "I sent you a helicopter and a ship."  If you believe in prayer, but you ignore the solutions - right in front of you - that may be divinely inspired, then you might as well not pray.


Let's jump into the shuffle - it's Thursday - so we go back to our "New Music" playlist.  Kind of a short shuffle - because the last "track" was actually a whole 20+ minute EP - as one mixtape-like track.



"You Afraid" by Jon Worthy

First up, we have Nashville's own Jon Worthy with another track from his album  Only a Dream. Worthy has been playing around the area quite a bit with his band The Bends. Now, that I'm getting settled in my new place - I can hopefully get out to see them soon. 

"Heartless" by Hilary Scott

Next up, we have another track from Don't Call me Angel by singer-songwriter Hilary Scott. The album was recorded in St. Louis with the support of some crack studio musicians - whose resumes read like a who's who of music. I have been really digging this album.  By the way, note that this is Hilary Scott with one "L" - not to be confused with the singer who has two "L"s and is from some band. (Here at E2TG - we know about getting confused for someone else).  This recent album is her 12th release - I'm glad to have it in my playlist.  

"The Blizzard" by Evan Jewett

Next up, we have a first listen to the debut album (Don't Feel to Work) by New York City based singer-songwriter Evan Jewett. The album was released back in September on Aagoo Records (we have been getting quite a bit of new music from that label).  Jewett is originally from California - he moved to New York in 2012.  Expect to hear much more on this album soon. 

"STŒND ALŒN (Uncollected Thots)" by Ugggy

E2TG Artist of the Year - Ugggy (you may recall) released 12 albums over the course of 12 months (every month on the first) from early 2017 to early 2018.  We have featured each one of those, and I have kept them in my playlist - even though they are no longer available on-line. Why? Because, I need a shot of Ugggy whenever I can get it. Ugggy and his Valued Customer partner - Pat Power - are two of the most talented and creative people I have met (and I have met my fair share of talented and creative people).  At some point, he sent me a link to his STŒND ALŒN EP as one track and that is what came up today. It is experimental hip hop - it's mind expanding and awesome  - and a great way to ease into my day. 


VIDEO PLAYLIST







No comments:

Post a Comment