Tuesday, June 18, 2019

E2TG Song Premiere: Bill Bloomer - "Doing Things Different"



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


I am thrilled to bring you a song premiere from one of the more colorful characters that I have encountered writing E2TG. Bill Bloomer is an American expatriate living in France. We featured his most recent album Jubilee - which was my introduction to his music. Since that time, I have gotten to know him (as one can) through social media. I hope and intend to meet him sometime on one of his barnstorming tours across his native country.

Bloomer is getting set to release a brand new album called Bounty - which is due out August 2.

Today, we take a listen to "Doing Things Different".  A song which surely describes Bill Bloomer.


The first thing that struck me when I first heard a Bill Bloomer song was his voice.  As Rambling Jack Elliott said, “I never heard anyone sing like that”, and who I am to disagree with Rambling Jack.  The more I learned about Bloomer, the more I learned that his rich vocals come from having lived a rich and expansive life.

Bill Bloomer was born in Galesburg, Illinois (Carl Sandburg and Wyatt Earp also hailed from Galesburg).  You might say that Bill Bloomer is the spiritual descendant of his hometown's best known natives - the cowboy and the poet.

A story I love is that as a youth Bloomer met Hunter S. Thompson - while wrestling a nine-month old lion in a "Wild West" show. From there Bloomer joined the rodeo circuit - he was nominated for rookie of the year for bareback bronc riding by the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association.

When a serious injury derailed his rodeo career, Bill Bloomer took up the guitar - encouraged by a family friend (Chicago songwriter Steve Goodman) - he was 36 years old.

Bloomer spend several years in Portland where he was active in the Portland Songwriters Association - winning an unprecedented three awards in two years.

Bloomer's journey next brought him to Thailand - where he spent eleven years - detoxing from painkillers at Buddhist monastery. He was ordained a "forest monk" and became an adopted uncle tpo the children of the nomadic Moken people.

Next up was France with frequent trips to the U.S. - where he was opened for the aforementioned Rambling Jack and Butch Hancock among others. Hancock said, “So many great songs. For years I’ve waited for someone to come along with the mojo”

Now, Bloomer set to release his 5th album in twenty years (and his third since 2016). Bounty will be out August 2, but you can get a sneak peak right now.

"Doing Things Different" is according to Bloomer "Written by the fireplace between overseas tours.  Inspired by the one who taught me how to love . She caught me on an island when I  wasn't  looking ."


So, without further ado, E2TG is proud to premiere, "Doing Things Different" by Bill Bloomer.


2 comments:

  1. I loved Jubilee, and can't wait to hear this new one. Thanks for sharing this great new song and exposing people to Bill's art! Ramcey in Nashville

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. Looking forward to the new album too!

      Delete