Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Trending Tuesday Morning Shuffle - 20th Century Bitch Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!



Today - June 4 marks the 3rd Anniversary of Nashville's independent, community-oriented, listener supported radio station, WXNA, officially hitting the airwaves. It has been a heady three years, and I need to point out that the stations founders worked for five years to make it happen.

Happy Birthday WXNA!



It is Tuesday, and time to dive right into our Trending Tuesday playlist!


"Broken" by Silver Lake 66

We start things off with our first listen to Ragged Heart - the second album by Portland, Oregon based duo Silver Lake 66.  Silver Lake 66 is Maria Francis and Jeff Overbo.  I'm a little slow out of the gate on this one - the album has been out since April, but I am loving what I am hearing so far.  Wonderful songs and vocals. More words to come. 

"We Get High" by Bryan Haraway

The shuffle has been digging on Bryan Haraway's self-titled album - and I'm digging that we have been moving rapidly through this album which is not yet out - but will be soon. This, however, is the first single from the album, and it is out now! So, enjoy!

"Can You Hear Me Calling" by Linda McRae

Next up, we have another track from Nashville singer-songwriter Linda McRae from her 2015 album Shadow Trails.  McRae is a fantastic songwriter and musician.  Make yourself familiar.

"20 Century Boy" by Beauty in Chaos (fear. Al Jourgensen)

Next up, we have another track from Finding Beauty in Chaos. Beauty in Chaos is a project of guitarist Michael Ciravolo.  The project features many big named guests - perhaps few bigger than the guest on this track - Al Jourgensen. Jourgensen was born is Havana, Cuba, and he is best known for leading the industrial band Ministry since 1981.  Al Jourgensen's music career has spanned over 40 years, and from what I hear on this track - he shows no sign of stopping.  I have to say, what excites me about this project and album - is that with all of the heavy weight guests - there is a consistency to the music - that I attribute to Michael Ciravolo's vision and presence.  

"Bitch" by Reckless Johnny Wales

Reckless Johnny is guesting on Anne McCue's WXNA show - Songs on the Wire this morning.  I have been describing his new latest, End It With a Long Song, as an album of "love songs".  If so, this is a love song that only Reckless Johnny Wales could pull off.   

"From You" by Benny Bassett

Next up, we have a lovely piano ballad from former Chicago attorney Benny Bassett and his album Words From Yesterday.  Bassett gave up his legal career to hit the road with his music and a desire to live his life to the fullest. He has made a wonderful album, and I'm happy to be able to write about it.  

"wisdom teeth" by Sonic Reducers

The shuffle has also been really into the self-titled debut album by New York state based punk band Sonic Reducers. The song is - as the title might suggest  - about having ones wisdom teeth removed. Fun lyrics and music. A great add to the playlist. Fun Fact: when I was in college, I had two of my wisdom teeth removed.  I ended up going to a concert at our local arena featuring the country group Alabama with Reba McEntire opening - while I was high on pain medicine. Alabama never sounded better. ;-)

"PFC Frank Walker" by The Truehearts

Next up, we have another track from Songs for Spike by Nashville based The Truehearts.  I met Steve and Debra before I heard them play music, and they were so nice, I remember thinking, gosh, I hope I like their music.  I needn't have worried. They are a great band with some fantastic songs - which I would dig - even if they weren't amazing human beings. 

"Motorcycle Cop" by Neutrals

I do a lot of quick research when I write these posts. My mind can't keep with all the music I feature - who is from where, the name and release dates of albums -etc. I say all that to mention that a song from Neutrals' debut album Kebab Disco which is due out this coming Friday - came up on my phone yesterday evening, and I was thinking how I love UK punk bands that sound like they are from the UK. Then this morning, this song came up, and I was thinking the same thing, but then I did my quick research and saw that they band was based in Oakland, California. BUT, then I saw that they are originally from Scotland. I forgot my point, but yeah, they sound Scottish and it is really cool punk rock. Dig it! 

"Strange Garden" by Kim Thompsett


We close with a seven plus minute song from the now released new album by Northern English folk artists Kim Thompsett. The album is called The Hollows. It is naturalistic and lovely and haunting music. A great way to close out this shuffle!  


VIDEO PLAYLIST


No comments:

Post a Comment