Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Trending Tuesday Morning Shuffle - Emotionally Numb Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook


On my mind... life seems to be about finding some sense of balance that works for you as an individual. At least this is true for me. Whether it is about staying in vs. going out or about finding the  beauty and joy in life vs. recognizing, exposing, and fighting against injustices. I don't think everyone's balance is the same. And to be honest, it's a little bit daunting to think I know what is best for everyone else.

Anyway, I went out last night - after working all day and then recording a Double Shot show (which will air November 4 with special guests Andy and Lee from Eight O'Five Jive). Headed to the High Watt where Allen Thompson opened for Austin Lucas and Brian Singer. I have to say (again) that I could listen to Allen Thompson sing just about every night.   Brian Singer and Austin Lucas are wrapping up their The Crooner and The Clown tour.  Brian Singer is a comedian. I love the idea of a comedian and a singer-songwriter touring together. I don't see comedians very often - mainly because I end up going to see music. Singer was really funny.  Austin Lucas was amazing as he is every time I see him. He sings with such emotional honesty and his stage presence is disarmingly genuine and funny.  Jon Latham joined him on a few songs which was cool. I was with Jon the first time I saw Austin Lucas.


It is Tuesday and time to see what is "Trending" on E2TG - as we work our way through the new music playlist - currently just under 400 songs but I have tons of e-mails and messages to go through.   It's probably close to time to clear off some songs that have lingering in the playlist for a fair amount of time (especially those from albums that have been featured extensively). Those songs will stay on my phone memory for possible "Wild Wednesday" shuffle feature....


"Fill Me Up" by Amilia K. Spicer

First up, another track from the excellent Wow and Flutter album by California singer-songwriter Amilia K. Spicer. 

"Hold My Lover Tight" by Thorbjørn Risager and The Black Tornado

The first of two (and the first of the final two) tracks from Change My Game by this bluesy, soulful, rock band from The Netherlands.  This track is pretty rocking. 

"Country Girl"by Matthew Sweet

Another great track from Tomorrow Forever. If you haven't heard Matthew Sweet's most recent album - I highly recommend it. 

"Hot to Touch" by Sarah Clanton

I love happy coincidences.  I also love the joy of discovering music and artists that are new to me. A few weeks back, Sue - my radio partner - introduced me to the music of Sarah Clanton - who is a classically trained cellist as well as being an excellent singer-songwriter.  The next week, I saw that she was playing a show at The 5 Spot and decided to stop in.  Seeing her live - sealed the deal and I am a new fan of her music. This is a live recording from an EP called Middle Tree Studio Live. Wonderful, unique music.  

"Lake Louise" by Ladies Gun Club

I love when the shuffle function gets "stuck" on an artist that I would love to listen to every day.  Take My Love Away has a great introduction to one of newest favorite bands. I mentioned Ladies Gun Club's show Saturday night with Legendary Shack Shakers.  1/2 of the band - Sally Jaye will be performing along with Amelia White, Megan Palmer, and Sergio Webb this Wednesday at Radio Cafe.  

"Lay My Burden Down" by Thorbjørn Risager and The Black Tornado

Next another from Change My Game- this track is more sultry than the earlier track. 

"Love is a Drag" by Robyn Hitchcock and Emma Swift

How about a duet from a pair of East Nashville artists?  I got to see Emma and Robyn sing together during Americana Fest - which is always a joy.  This was part of a two-sided single released late last year. 

"Holes" by Sean Quinn and the Tremblers


And we close with the first song I ever heard Sean Quinn perform. This was a couple of years ago at an open-mic writer's night. Sean Quinn got up and sang this song - a rather pointed song about discovering sex and the effects of orgasms. And a couple of people got up and left when he starting singing about cumming. It was at that moment that I knew that Quinn was my kind of people.  This is from his awesome album Never Meant to Last. 

No comments:

Post a Comment