Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Trending Tuesday Morning Shuffle - Free Fallin' Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook


Well.... yesterday was pretty much an all-around crappy day.  Waking the news from Las Vegas and the finding out about Tom Petty. 

There is much I want to say about Tom Petty - some of which I have heard other people say better than I could. 

As a writer, music has always inspired me.  First writing fiction, a line from a song would trigger a story. I remember once, being stuck on a short story I was writing, and then going to see some songwriters play and getting lost in their music and suddenly the story coming together in my mind - no so much a direct reaction to a song or a line, but just some cosmic inspiration reaching out of the melody and telling me how the story needed to go.

"Free Fallin'"  I can't say that it is my favorite Tom Petty song - but I do confess to loving it - but back around the turn of this century, I was in the midst of writing 365 short, short stories based upon secondary (and incidental) characters from my novel, The Drift (I ended up writing 388 stories) and a whole series of these stories was inspired by "Free Fallin'"  - "All the vampires walkin' through the valley/ Move west down Ventura Blvd./ And all the bad boys are standing in the shadows/ All the good girls are home with broken hearts"

Music is important to me.  And yesterday was a hard day, but music will ultimately heal. I find myself saying this quite often, but it is what I believe to be the truth.

It would have been easy to just stay in last night, but I chose to go out and listen to people make music.  It was just what I needed.  Thanks to Brian Milligram, John Dennis, Jason Erie, and Josh Gray for being what I needed.   There was not much to smile about yesterday but hearing Josh Gray singing The Dead Milkmen's song, "Punk Rock Girl" (for the second time) made me smile.

So, I'm moving on... with some Trending Tuesday music for this third day of October 2017


"Rodeo Queen" by Mike Younger

We start things off with a track from Little Folks Like You and Me. Younger is a Nashville based singer-songwriter, originally from Halifax, Nova Scotia.  This is one of my favorite albums of 2017.

"Some Dumb Runaway" by Kristin Hersh

Next up, we have a track from her double album Wyatt at the Coyote Palace. Hersh co-founded Throwing Muses when she was just fourteen years old.  So happy to be able to feature this album. 

"The Giver" by Mr. Kind

Next we have a track from The Wild EP by this band from Oakland, California that features an early E2TG Featured Artist - Brian Bergeron. Bergeron started Mr. Kind with Jonathan Devoto  around the time that I discovered his solo work (2012). The Wild EP is their latest release - it came out in November 2016.

"Deep Blue Sea" by Lobelia

Next, we have a beautiful song from the album Love or Something Like It by this singer-songwriter from Birmingham, UK. Really lovely music. 

"Same Old Story Everywhere I Go" by Tom House

For the second day in a row, we have a track from Strange, I Reckon by Nashville's own Tom House. This is his brand new album - adding to an impressive body of work. 

"Long Gone" by Thorbjørn Risager and The Black Tornado

Next, some Danish rock, soul, rhythm and blues... off of the album Change my Game. This album came out earlier in the year, and I really dig it. 

"America's Watching TV" by Matt Haeck

Next up a powerful song from Strange Freedom: Songs of Love and Protest - from the man who helped make the album possible.  "All the World's Watching America, America's Watching TV"  This is music doing what it is meant to do. 

"Desiree" by Boris Garcia

And we close out today's shuffle with a track from Around Some Corner.  Boris Garcia are a jam band  from Philadelphia that defies genre classifications. This, there latest album, was produced by Tim Carbone of Railroad Earth.  A nice way to close out the morning playlist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment