Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Wild Wednesday Morning Shuffle - Something Else Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook

I'll be honest, the constant barrage of insanity coming from the (occasional) occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, is exhausting.  It's not just daily, it's like several times a day - behavior that would not be acceptable from any adult human being let alone the POTUS.... the latest (well probably not the latest, I just have the heard to look up the actual latest) threatening the broadcast licenses of a major news organization because he doesn't like what they are reporting. How can anyone- regardless of political ideology accept this?  This is why I insist that my posts here are not political. Granted there is a lot politically that the right does that I don't like or agree with, but the actions and words of the current head of the executive branch go so far beyond "normal" partisan issues. But, hell, I don't think I even know what "normal" is any more.

BUT! I cannot let exhaustion deter me. I must take care of myself, but then I must keep on resisting and persisting. We all must.
*********************************************************************************

Ah - but music - my solace. Oh man, last night's Songhoy Blues show at The Basement East was incredible. Probably among the best shows I've seen this year. So much positive energy.  It was also great hanging a bit with some of my fellow WXNA DJs  - which doesn't happen often enough for me.  Also, seeing some other friends.  It was hard not to dance and smile, and I have to say I failed miserably at not doing those things.

Now, it is mid-week, and I am semi getting used to my new phone (although I am also researching third party music player apps). Wednesday, we always get "Wild" at E2TG, and today is no exception.  Let's shuffle:


"Maybe Baby" by Skeeter Davis

We start this off with this cover of the Buddy Holly song by Country music legend Skeeter Davis - it from here 1967 album Skeeter Davis sings Buddy Holly. This cover was released just 10 years after the original. 

"Torch Song" by Joey Kneiser

Next up - another track from Joey Kneiser - this from his The All Night Bedroom Revival album. Great song by a fantastic artist. 

"Shake it Off" by Amilia K. Spicer

Really digging Wow and Flutter - the latest from Amilia K. Spicer - a California singer-songwriter. 

"Mountain of Mind" by The Suitcase Junket

One of my favorites track from Pile Driver by one-man band The Suitcase Junket.  Really love the vibe of this song. A great accompaniment to my morning commute. 

"Ain't No End" (Live) by The Jayhawks

From a recent Live album, this song was originally on the band's second album Blue Earth - which was released in Twin/Tone in 1989.

"Something Else" by Candy Apple and The Buddies

Our second 1950s cover of the shuffle - this is a cover of the 1959 Eddie Cochran  song. This cover is from a 2010 EP  called Leprechaun to the Right by The Buddies  (I'm not actually sure where the Candy Apple came from - original name?). The Buddies is a band featuring Coley Kennedy (who E2TG readers may know from Black Vincent) and the Collins family  (Kim and Scott from Smoking Flowers and Justin from Justin and the Cosmics)  The Buddies were part of one of the funnest shows I have seen in the last few years.  

"Hey Self Defeater" by Syd Straw

Another cover, this one is a cover of a song by Mark Mulcahy (1999 album Fathering). This cover is by a personal favorite of mine - the great Syd Straw - and was a bonus track to a Mark Mulcahy tribute album called Ciao My Shining Star.  Syd Straw and Mark Mulcahy were both part of The Adventures of Pete and Pete - the 1990s Nickelodeon show.  Mulcahy's band Polaris was the "house band" for the show and Straw played math teacher Miss Fingerwood.  This song really spoke to me.  

"Last Fair Deal Gone Down" by Jon Langford

And we close with our fourth cover song of the day - this a cover of Robert Johnson song by Jon Langford (The Mekons, The Waco Brothers).  Originally on his 2004 solo album All the Fame of Lofty Deeds. I got this from a 2010 compilation Dear New Orleans which was released in 2010 - 5 years after the Hurricane Katrina devastated the city. Langford will be appearing in Nashville - Saturday night at City Winery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment