Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Wild Wednesday Morning Shuffle - Lost in the Shuffle Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook


TFW the President of the United States cannot meet the basic standards of human decency let alone the qualification of the job of President of the United States of America.... when will this madness end?
********************************************************************************

A couple of notes:

1. Even though I am focusing on the "New Music" playlist for at least the next month, I have decided to keep Wild Wednesday intact.  It is a good opportunity to dig into the subbasement of my phone's memory to pull out gems which might have slipped by.  These may be "new music" or "Nashville based" or #E2TG related, or they may be classics from my collection or unusual recent discoveries (that don't fit the other categories)

2.  My phone seems to be dying.  I have ordered a new phone which means I will be transferring the music to that device when it arrives.  In my experience, transferring the songs is fine, but I will likely lose all my playlists. If that is the case, I will begin by rebuilding my new music playlist to the best of my ability (and I may take that opportunity to thin out some older songs from that list).  If for some reason, I don't have time to set up the playlist, expect Wild Wednesday shuffles until I get that done.

Now, back behind the curtain... here's the shuffle!


"Fort Gibson Lake" by Jared Tyler

We start things off with a song from Dirt on Your Hands from Oklahoma singer-songwriter and long-time Malcolm Holcombe  sideman, Jared Tyler. The main players on the album - besides Tyler include Holcombe, Kenny Vaughn, Dave Roe and more.  Notable guests include Suzi Ragsdale, John Fullbright and more. 

"Lost in the Shuffle" by Drivin' N' Cryin'

Seemed like a good subtitle for the shuffle. Drivin' 'N Cryin' from their classic album Fly Me Courageous. Nashville's own Laur Joamets is currently playing guitar with Drivin' 'N Cryin' joining an impressive list who have filled that role (Aaron Lee Tasjan, Warner Hodges, Sadler Vaden to name just a few) 

"m o o d  r i n g" by Ugggy

Ugggy just released The Odditorium on the first - marking the eight straight month that he has released new music on the first. This is the title track from his July release.  If E2TG did a "Hot List", Ugggy would be off the scale - hot... like ghost peppers or whatever is hotter than ghost peppers. 

"In A Drawer" by Band of Horses

I've been a fan of Band of Horses for some time. Given the focus of E2TG on lesser known artists, I haven't written about them too much. This is a track from their 2016 album Why Are You OK - it is their fifth album, and it was produced by Jason Lytle of Grandaddy. This track features J. Mascis of Dinosaur Jr. 

"What's Wrong with You" by Kristen Englenz

Kristen Englenz was born in Texas, raised in Georgia, and now lives here in Nashville. I was very lucky to have her play at one of my residency shows back in May. This is a track from her The Extent of Play. 


"The Woman Who Got Old" by The Bishop's Daredevil Stunt Club

The Bishop's Daredevil Stunt Club is a "roughed up power pop" band from Illinois. This is a track from Don't Buy This Record which came out earlier this yea.r 

"Black Sand" by KATO

I couldn't find a video - and the socials foro KATO seem to be inactive. This is from an EP called A Summer in Space Beach which came out in 2013.  I was turned on to this artist and release by Owen Swartzbard who directed a music video for one of the songs on the EP.  That video is on Vimeo.  Here it is 


KATO / Glow in the Dark from Owen Schwartzbard on Vimeo.



"Waterloo Sunset" by Ray Davies (Dessoff Chamber Choir)

Next up, Ray Davies with the Dessoff Chamber Choir from a 2009 performance released by NPR.  This classic song by The Kinks was on their 1967 fifth album Something Else by The Kinks. 

"Way Back Home" by Sara Syms

Next up, Nashville singer-songwriter Sara Syms with the title track from one of my favorite albums from a couple of years ago.  

"To My Younger Self" by Joey Kneiser

And we close the shuffle with one of my favorite Joey Kneiser songs (from his album The Wilding) This is a live version from the Live at Standard Deluxe album which features Kelly Smith.  Joey and Kelly will be playing a reunion show (and maybe a farewell) of their band Glossary this weekend at The Mercy Lounge.  E2TG Artist of the Year 2015 Jon Latham is opening that show. 


No comments:

Post a Comment