Friday, March 16, 2018

Featured Friday Morning Music Shuffle - Runnin' and Tryin' Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


Last night's Music City Roots: On the Road was a total East Nashville experience. Held at The Basement East - with special guest host Derek Hoke, and featuring four of the best artists/bands in on that side of the Cumberland River.

Little Bandit opened the show. Led by Alex Caress, Little Bandit has quickly become one of my favorite bands. I was admittedly late to the party, but I'm happy to be here. Alex's voice and the wit and heart in his songs shines. My friend, Jamie Timm (of Microwave Mountain) joined on guitar and sounded fantastic.

Next up was Elise Davis. This was, I believe, my first time seeing Davis (at least outside of a tribute show), and I was impressed by her songs and her voice. I definitely want to hear more.

Next up was E2TG Artist of Eternity - Darrin Bradbury making his third appearance as a guest (fourth overall appearance - he did an original and hilarious take on the Vietti Chili song his first time there) used the occasion to give MCR listeners/viewers a peek into his loud music past. With an awesome band - Laur Joamets on guitar, Cameron Carrus on bass, and Matty Apples on drums - Bradbury played a solid mix of older and newer songs with an a markedly rock approach. Songs like "Exile on Myrtle Beach" and "New Ownership Blues" were given new arrangements which made me think of Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue era.

Finally, Allen Thompson closed out the night with a very large band  (I think I counted twelve people on stage) including a horn section and backup singers. It was a rollicking set that garnered a standing ovation.

Everyone joined ATB on stage for the jam of the Stones "You Can't Always Get What You Want".

All in all a wonderful night of music. There was decent crowd which I can't help thinking would have been bigger but for the fact that half of East Nashville is in Austin for SXSW.

Tonight, I'm heading to The 5 Spot for Tim Carroll's weekly throw-down and then sticking around for Maxwell Putnam's CD release show for his new album Ode to a Tinhorn with guests Justin and the Cosmics (who we played earlier in the week) and Mark Fredson.

By the way, I don't do a whole lot of cross promotion, but in case any E2TG readers don't know, I co-host a weekly two-hour radio show called Double Shot with Joe and Sue (me being Joe and my dear friend Sue Havlish being Sue) on WXNA - Nashville's Community Radio Station. It's on 101.5FM in Nashville and can be streamed world-wide at wxnafm.org or via the TuneIn app. Double Shot hits at 11am Central Time (currently Daylight Savings Time)  on Saturday.

Well... it is Friday and let's see what we have to feature today!


"Runnin'" by Trent Agecoutay

First up, we have our second listen to Now... and Then an album Trent Agecoutay - a singer-songwriter from Alberta. Reading over his site, I see that this was his first song to get national airplay in Canada, and I can see why. It's a great song.  I am forever grateful that doing E2TG leads me hearing music that I might otherwise never hear. 

"Keep This Love Alive" by Eric Andersen

Next, we have another track from The Essential Eric Andersen - career-spanning compilation that we are featuring right now. This is a song that Andersen wrote and recorded with Rick Danko of The Band. Needless to say, this is just a flat out great song. 

"Tryin' to Find the Happy" by MJ Bishop

Next up, we have Nashville singer-songwriter MJ Bishop with a song from her album Give It Away Again. I have really been enjoying this album - this is our penultimate song to feature, and I was loving this song during my drive in. 

"Dawn Awakening" by Fangs and Twang

The sad tale of a vampire that rides off into the sunrise. Fangs and Twang - from Michigan - offer up twangy songs about all sort of creatures. This is from their album High Fives All Around.   Taken musically, these are just really good twangy, country songs - lyrically there are some really funny and clever moments. "Like a cowboy in reverse"

"Annual Yantra Viewing" by Discount Ravioli

Yes, Discount Ravioli again.  To be honest, I'm not sure what is going on here, but you can listen for yourself (and hear another Discount Ravioli song in the Video Playlist)




"Pounds of Love" by Freevolt

Next up, our second listen to Open Up Your Door by Massachusetts band Freevolt. Their music is described as "Roots Rock Americana Jam Reggae Funk Trop Pop". I definitely hear the reggae influence in this song. 

"River of Tears" by Low Society

The shuffles have definitely been on a major Low Society kick in recent weeks, and I have absolutely no problem with that. This is a another track from their latest album Sanctified. Singer Mandy Lemons Nikides really belts this one out of the park while her husband - guitar great Sturgis works his magic. Sturgis Nikides played with the great John Cale many years ago when he was in New York. Low Society are now based out of Memphis. 

"Chalice of Malice" by Rayvon Pettis

2017 E2TG Artist of the Year Rayvon Pettis is up next with another track from his recent album Dying Light. The album was recorded in the Cafe Rooster studio and produced by Matt Haeck. 

"Features/Fights" by Marie/Lepanto

We close things out for the day and the week with another track from the album Tenkiller by Marie/Lepanto.  This new band/project features the great Will Johnson (Centromatic) and Justin Peter Kinkel-Shuster (Water Liars). This is gorgeous music and nice way to slide into my last day of the work seek. 



No comments:

Post a Comment