Friday, March 2, 2018

Featured Friday Morning Shuffle - My Compass Broke Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


Woohoo! I made it to the end of the week! 

Last night was Music City Roots - on the road at 3rd and Lindsley. I sure liked it being about 8 minutes away from my home rather than 30+ minutes.  (Their forthcoming new permanent home will be pretty close, too.).  As for the music, there was nothing at all to complain about. From Jim Lauderdale's opening song to the final jam of  "I Shall Be Released" it was great music all the way through. 

Kevin Gordon played some songs from his forthcoming album.  He's one of my favorite songwriters and performers. Backed by his usual stellar band.

Katie Pruitt - I'm not sure if I had seen her before, but she was on my radar.  Now I'm a fan.  She spoke her truth bravely and with grace and without apology.

Lillie Mae - played in a family band for many years, came to Nashville and cut her chops on Lower Broadway, played with Jack White, and she is now signed to Third Man Records. Great songs, well-played by Lillie Mae and her siblings.

DADDY closed the night. Will Kimbrough plus Tommy Womack - you cannot go wrong here. Backed by an incredible band and the golden tones of Lisa Oliver Gray.  The wit and wisdom of Tommy Womack  and the sharply focused songs of Will Kimbrough in a rock and roll setting.   

Tonight, I am going to see Pylon Reenactment Society.  The music of the legendary Athens band  Pylon as interpreted by the original lead singer and a new band.  You may recall, E2TG has been featuring the debut EP from Pylon Reenactment Society in recent months. I am stoked for this show!

It's Friday, and we have one final shuffle for the week- it comes from the New Music playlist... let's shuffle!


"The High Cost of Living Strange" by Ben de la Cour

The title track from the forthcoming album by E2TG fave Ben de la Cour. This album is a must buy!  I first heard of Ben's music through Couch by Couchwest when he was living in Louisiana. When I next caught up with him, he was in Nashville. He is now a friend that I get to see perform on a fairly regular basis (but not often enough because he tours quite a bit).

"Carnival" by Raven King

Up next, we have the opening track - a bit of a slow burner from Providence, Rhode Island based Raven King from their self-titled  album. Great sounding song.

"Red Sun Rising" by Ronan Furlong

Next up, we have the title track from the recently released new album from Irish singer-songwriter Ronan Furlong. I have been enjoying this album immensely. 

"The Rail" by Marie/Lepanto

Next up, an absolutely gorgeous song from the debut release from Marie/Lepanto (Will Johnson of Centromatic fame and Justin Kinkel-Schuster of Water Liars fame). The album is called Tenkiller.  The whole album is stunning. 

"Trash Can Fire" by Bashful Hips

People. Nature. Death. is the new album from long-time E2TG fave - Bashful Hips - now based in Chicago. Bashful Hips seems to have sharpened his unique brand of alternative hip-hop into a fine point. Each listen, confirms that this is my favorite of his (and I have always loved his music). 

"Poor Girl" by Red's Blues

What's that you say? There hasn't been any blues music in this shuffle? Well, let's take care of that right now. Beth and R.W. Grisby bring the traditional blues into the 21st Century. This music is clearly grounded by a solid base of blues knowledge and experience. The name of the album is You Knock Me Out. No Red's Blues - YOU knock ME out!


"The Beach House" by Phantoms vs. Fire

And finally, I cruised on into my office for the last day of the work week with some ambient, instrumental music from the album Swim.  I nice way to head into the weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment