Friday, May 31, 2019

Featured Friday Morning Shuffle - Cool Hair Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


If you follow me on Social Media, you will have noticed a lot of memory and anniversary type posts. There have been several anniversaries recently - 5 years since I first met Darrin Bradbury in person, 3 years since I met The Foresters and Jack Nork, 6 years since I met David Hogan, just about 3 years since Double Shot with Joe and Sue began... and I am keenly aware that none of those things would have happened if I had not started E2TG 8 years ago this month.

That so much of my life today would be different - I would say lesser - if I had not (practically on a whim) started writing a music blog in May 2011 - is not lost on me. I am not sure if the world needed another music blog in 2011, and at that time I could not have said with any confidence that even I needed to write a music blog in 2011. Time has proved that I needed to start E2TG.  As for what the world needed, I will leave that to the world.

If you are reading this, thank you! 

Something I don't say often enough. If you love music, find you best way to support the people who make that music. Buying albums, going to shows, buying merch, telling people about artists or albums they should know about, supporting crowd-funding/pre-orders, and I'm sure there are other ways not in my mind right now.  The financial situation in music is dire. People are making money off of music, but by large measure it is not the writers, players, and singers. Rather, it is often people in offices and suits. Streaming is a great technological innovation that allows us (the listened) instant access to more music than we could possibly  be able to hear in one lifetime. The ability to create custom playlists and share those - it is awesome. unfortunately, creators see a fraction of the profits derived from the streams.


So support your local and touring independent musicians - in what ever way works for you! 

On to the shuffle!








"Expressions" by ESOEBO

We start from the first of two tracks for ESOEBO (the Atlanta based duo - the band name means Eclectic Selections of Everything But Opera) and their brand new (out today!) album VI.  If I remember my Roman numerals, the album name means that this is their 6th album. Chuck McDowell and Gail Burnett are ESOEBO.
"All Out of Blue" by Reckless Johnny Wales

Our old friend, Reckless Johnny is back from his new album of love songs called End It With a Love Song.  The album was recorded at The Sound Shelter and was produced by Chris Tench, Brent Ryan Stewart, and some guy names Bob Saporiti (who has never been seen in the same room as Reckless). The album cover features a fourteen year old Reckless Johnny looking every bit the 1950s teen idol. 

"Still Be Me" by ESOEBO

Another great tune from ESOEBO VI.  I just saw where their show tomorrow night at Eddie Owens Presents had to be cancelled due to illness. Wishing every one involved speedy recovery and good health going forward.

"How It Is" by Bryan Haraway

Today, we have two more tracks from the self-titled debut album by the Las Vegas based singer-songwriter.  Digging this album and this song is fantastic.

"Tax Man Blues" by Watermelon Slim

Church of the Blues.  I just wrote a bit about Slim for an upcoming Double Shot - but there is so much to be said of this true roots and blues original. Watermelon Slim is Mensa level smart, has a rich and colorful history, and has assembled a band of musical greats for this - his 13th album. 

"Lake Success" by Ben Arthur

Next we have a early preview (maybe a premiere listen) to the new album from our old friend Ben Arthur - called Perspective. The album is not due out until later this summer, but I can tell you right off that it displays Arthur's trademark brilliant songwriting.  Ben Arthur is an advocate and practitioner of the art and craft of songwriting. Over the last couple of albums, he had been exploring the ways various art forms speak to and react to one another.  I don't have a lot of information about this new album, but Lake Success is the name of a novel by Gary Shteyngart and I can tell you that Ben Arthur is connected to Mr. Shteyngart on social media - so draw your own conclusions.  

"cool hair"by Sonic Reducers

So far, we have been leaning heavily into singer-songwriter type music today, so what about we shake things up with some fast-paced punk rock from some college kids from Ithaca, New York. Gotta love a 55 second punk song!

"Alive" by Bryan Haraway

Next up, we have another from Bryan Haraway.  As I mentioned on an earlier post, I connected with Bryan at this years Magnolia Roads American Roots Hoedown IV last month. I have been digging this album quite a bit.
"Goodbye" by The Truehearts

We close - appropriately enough with a song called "Goodbye" from the forthcoming Songs for Spike by E2TG Favorites The Truehearts. I started this post by talking about everything that has happened in my life because I started writing E2TG 8 years ago.  I count meeting Steve and Debra among those wonderful things that have happened. Truehearts is an apt name for not only their music but also their humanity. I understand that Steve is under the weather forcing the band to cancel a show in Memphis - so we sent more healing thoughts his way. Looking forward to the June 22 release show from Songs for Spike. 


VIDEO PLAYLIST


No comments:

Post a Comment