Friday, November 22, 2019

Featured Friday Morning Shuffle - Brat Weekend Mix (Jukebox Heart Remix)



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


  *Note: The video playlist at the bottom of the post attempts to closely approximate the shuffle I listened to on my way to work this morning. When a video for a song was not available, I substituted another song by the same artist. When I could not find any videos by an artist, I included a related video or did not include a video for that track. This blog may reference unreleased tracks, however, no unreleased music is ever included.

This is my last day to remind you to make a donation to the WXNA Pledge Drive, but the drive runs through Sunday.



Time is marching on, and I am getting ready for a soft launch of E2TG version 3.0 soon.  I am going to make some decisions over the weekend about the timing of the changes.  December is historically the month we review the year that is winding down - which we do in the context of our annual awards - The Earies (tagline: They sound odd, but they really aren't)


Let's jump into this shuffle!


"Brat Weekend" by Merrill Beach

How about we start with a track from Merrill Beach which is the latest project of Hayden Nork (The Foresters, Batkhi Dahn, Discount Ravioli, Them Airs, 100% Beefcake, Circus Propaganda, Maternity Leave... who am I forgetting???).  Hayden is a multi-disciplinary artist and college student.  Have known him since he was a pre-teen.  The Foresters were E2TG Band of the Year a couple of years ago.  Merrill Beach is a further exploration of his unique musical tendencies. By the way, since I could not find a Merrill Beach video, I selected a 2015 video from Bathi Dahn - man four years is a long time when you are young. 

"Walnut Grove" by Bonsai Universe

Next up, we have Bonsai Universe with another track from Too Many Ghosts.  I am loving this album, and this MAY be my favorite song. 

"GeturAssintheCar" by WesdaRuler

Who needs spaces between words?  Not WesdaRuler.  From Ocean Drive, a nifty track from the Athens, Georgia based hiphop artist and beat maker. 

"Mean Bone" by Helene Cronin

More ghosts... this is a track from Helene Cronin's album Old Ghosts and Lost Causes.  This one almost slipped by me until I met Helene during the Broken Jukebox Media AMA-week showcase which prompted me to seek the album out. I am so glad I did.  Great songwriting and great music. 

"Mama Mama Mama" by Warren Storm

We have our second listen to Taking the World, by Storm - the forthcoming album by the 82 year old Godfather of Swamp Pop. This is another of his songs from the early part of his career that is credited to J.D. Miller.  The album was produced by Yvette Landry - who has also written by book about Storm (under the same title). 

"Trust the Sun" by Randy Lewis Brown

Next up, we have another track from Red Crow by Texas singer songwriter Randy Lewis Brown.  Another fine album that we received via the fine folks at Broken Jukebox Media (and by fine folks, I mean Adam Dawson)


"Can't Get Enough" by Ben Davis Jr.

Speaking of Broken Jukebox Media and Adam Dawson, we have yet another release they sent to us.  The album is called Sutherahia.  Davis is from Southern Ohio - which apparently is pronounced Suthernahia if you are from there. Great album. 


"Sweet and Sour" by Def Robot

We have another track from Makers of Mountains by Def Robot who are from Northern England which is pronounced with a Northern English accent, but I don't know how to spell that  (see the previous track if this comment didn't make sense).  I have been digging this album for a few months now, and this track really stood out to me today.

"Rumble On Arab St (Valtow Dub)" by Rude Audio

Streetlight Interference is the second release we have covered byt southeast London based Rude Audio. I think we previously featured the original version of this track - this is a Dub mix. 

"Feet Off the Brakes" by Gerry Gareau

Next up, we have our first listen to Canadian country singer Gerry Gareau.  "Feet Off the Brakes" was released October 15.  

"Jukebox Heart" by Big Evil

We close with another track from the debut release by East Nashville supergroup Big Evil.  This offshoot punk band features E2TG artist of the year, Ben de la Cour, Chris Watts (aka Dirt Reynolds), Joe Lekkas, and Pete Pulkrabek.  It looks like this release is no longer available, but I have it...  no video evidence of Big Evil exists so in keeping with the first track in this shuffle, I found a 2012 video of Ben de la Cour for your enjoyment. 

VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment