Friday, August 3, 2018

E2TG Song Premiere - "Gloria" by Benjamin Jason Douglas



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!



A little over a year ago - maybe more (who knows?), I started hearing about Benjamin Jason Douglas from some of local (Nashville) songwriters whose own songs I admire. The exchanges usually went something like this:

E2TG:  I really love your songs.

Respected songwriter friend (RSF):  Thanks, but who you really need to hear is Ben Douglas.

E2TG: *something awkward*

RSF: No, really, Ben's songs will blow you away.

It was shortly after one of these exchanges, that I got to see Douglas play - solo at a songwriters event.  It turns out that RSF was right.  I was blown away and I have been a huge fan and supporter of his music ever since.

A couple of side-notes. Benjamin Douglas in addition to be an incredible songwriter is a talented visual artist. His sketches of other local musicians are wonderful. Another thing I've noticed, while the local songwriting community is very mutually supportive in general - good-natured ribbing is fairly common and can be pretty brutal in some cases (all in fun - I think). The thing I have noticed is that I cannot recall having  heard one person speak ill of Benjamin Jason Douglas - even in jest. That speaks volumes about how respected he is as an artist and as a person.

You can imagine how happy I was to get the opportunity to preview Ben's album First World Blues a while back.  I have been sharing some of that music with you, loyal reader, over the last couple of months. The album will have it's official release a week from today (August 10).

Today, I am ecstatic to be able to officially premiere a song from the album, "Gloria".  Song premiere after the jump.

"East Nashville by way of a creekside suburb right outside of Baltimore, songwriter Benjamin Jason Douglas weaves classic American folk tales not unlike those of John Prine and Guy Clark. But he’s also lit up by the torch song sarcasm of Randy Newman. Those influences come to you mixed-up with the voodoo blues of Dr. John on a whiskey-soaked bender with Tom Waits. His narratives pin laughter beside loneliness like two old friends who don’t really get along but make it work for the sake of the song. With every sneaky 7th and diminished chord struck by this graveled soul, he aims to make light work of heavy hearts, as if only to convince himself he can. What you end up with is a sound that truly defies categorization, a magical potion of tent revival gospel and outsider anthems that are all his very own. Get down with this 3 star S.O.B., you’ll be glad that you did!" (Official Bio) 



"Gloria is less a woman's name and more a placeholder for some greater love gone missing. Simple math is made of a mans hapless behavour resulting in an increasingly embittered beg of "Come On!"...sadly autobiographical." - Benjamin Jason Douglas 

"Gloria" by Benjamin Jason Douglas 

Lyrics: 

I spent my whole life looking
For a way to make my heart break
Cause I fell hard into loving
The lonesome sound that it makes
Like a ghost train derailing
Howling back from the grave
I howl against the night
Broken over some ol six string

Now the next time you see me 
Ill be drunk on a mall train
Hanging off the side
With a big ol grin on my face
Singing luck must be a lady
Cause my pockets full of small change tonight

Oh come on Gloria
My sweet Gloria 

My daddy keeps a praying
That I find the road to walk down
Instead of spinning my wheels
Playin the games the devil knows well
But I just cant keep it straight 
If its mine or if its Gods will 
To swallow all the hate
To keep from tasting the guilt
Now the next time you see me 
Ill be swaying in the street light
High on john misty
With a restless calm In my eye
Singing luck must be a lady
Cause she left without good reason why

Come on Gloria
My sweet Gloria

Ben Douglas - acoustic/electric guitar, keys, and lead vocals
Ryan Dishen- electric guitar and backing vocals
Erin Nelson- drums/percussion and backing vocals
Joe Lekkas- bass, keys, and backing vocals
Written by Benjamin Jason Douglas

Produced by : Joseph Lekkas

Benjamin Jason Douglas' Official Website:  https://www.benjaminjdouglas.com/

Album First World Blues is out August 10, 2018 on Flour Sack Cape Records 




No comments:

Post a Comment