Thursday, August 15, 2019

Trending Thursday Morning Shuffle - Life Without Parole Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

  *Note: The video playlist at the bottom of the post attempts to closely approximate the shuffle I listened to on my way to work this morning. When a video for a song was not available, I substituted another song by the same artist. When I could not find any videos by an artist, I included a related video or did not include a video for that track. This blog may reference unreleased tracks, however, no unreleased music is ever included.



People often make comments about me going out to hear music all the time, and I usually reply that I don't go out as often as you think I do, but this week is definitely an exception. 

Last night, I spent my evening at The 5 Spot.  First for The Flying Buffaloes CD Release show. Kyshona Armstrong opened the show with a powerhouse performance. I have been familiar with her for some time, I saw her once at The Basement East and she performed at a WXNA Event, but I was working the event and missed her set.  Backed by a killer band - including two amazing backup singers, Kyshona torn the roof off the joint!  Ross Livermore performed next. His was another name that was familiar to me, and I think maybe I had seen him solo before, but it was wonderful in a full band setting.  He even did a song called "Reggie" which happens to be my Dad's name. 

You may recall The Flying Buffaloes when we premiered their song "Hey ;) is for Horses"back in 2017. They have a new album, and they celebrated in style with a high energy set - playing their new album.  Amazingly, this was my first time seeing them live, and I was blown away!   It was fun to watch how well they work as a unit - trading instruments and lead vocals.

After that, I stuck around.  My friend Crystal has been hyping the band Wayne Graham for a while now, and they were playing the late set.  Wayne Graham is the band name, and before you ask, no one in the band has that name. They just got back from a European tour.  Nashville band East Kin opened. Another band whose name I knew, but who I had not seen before. I really enjoyed their loose style of kind of jam band rock. 

Wayne Graham (who are from Kentucky)  lived up to Crystal's recommendations. A really great set of music.  They have an easy, casual style - backed by great songs and some amazing playing.  I am hooked.

On to the shuffle! 



"The Infinite Mix" by Dizraeli

Next up, we have another track from The Unmaster by Dizraeli. This is a 5 minute plus beat with the sound of rain (I think) in the mix.  This is a really amazing album.

"Haunted by The Rain" by The Pull of Autumn

Coming out of an extended mix which ended with what sounded like the sound of rain, we have the first of two tracks from Afterglow by Boston's The Pull of Autumn - which happens to have rain in the title. I have been a fan of this band since we covered their previous release. The new album is sounding great. 

"Lake Moms Task Force" by Them Airs
"Ten-Go" by Them Airs

Connecticut band Them Airs already have a new release out - a live album, but we are still covering their debut album Echo Park Bomb City. As I mentioned, Them Airs features members of The Foresters and Smokey the Firebear - and I am digging this album.  I saw where they referred to themselves as a "Squadron of musical hotboys" which I think says all you need to know about them. :-)

"Mama Tried" by Flying Buffaloes

Coincidentally, we have our first listen to Loaded and Rollin' the new album by The Flying Buffaloes.  We start with the only cover song on the album.  It is their take on the Merle Haggard classic - "Mama Tried".  A really great cover of a song that has been covered many times.

"Walk Small" by Bark

Next up, Bark with another from Terminal Everything. I love it when bands that I love keep upping their game. Terminal Everything is one of my favorite albums of 2019 so far. 

"Spartan Hotel" by Rod Picott

Rod Picott is truly one of the best songwriters working today.  His body of work is consistently strong, and Tell the Truth and Shame the Devil is one of his best. There is a bad song on the album, and every time I hear a song I think, this is my favorite on the album. So, for now, this is my favorite on the album. 

"Wallow" by The Pull of Autumn

Next our second track of the day from Afterglow.  The Pull of Autumn is a sort of supergroup of  members of mainly Boston area bands. 

"Making Plans for Nigel" by TCandI

Terry Chambers and Colin Moulding with one of Moulding's songs - which XTC included on their third album Drums and Wires (1979). This has always been a favorite XTC song of him, and this is a great version of the song. 

"Jeremy Woodstock" by Ariana Gillis

And we close with yet another song by The Maze by Canadian singer songwriter Ariana Gillis. Her Buddy Miller produced album continues to impress me, and it seems as if word is getting out. 


VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment