Friday, March 8, 2019

E2TG Song Premiere and Interview: "Midnight Rendezvous" by Josh Gray



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!



Songs of the Highway album cover art

Nashville is a songwriters town. Maybe THE songwriters town, and I have been fortunate enough to get to know some of the best, and I can say without hesitation and without qualification that Josh Gray is on that list. Songs of the Highway, his new album which is due out April 16, is the culmination of a lot of work and a lot of miles. Today, I am thrilled to premiere the first track from that album.  I also had the chance to ask Josh a few questions about his journey to complete this album.  After the jump, we will all get to know Josh Gray and his music a little better, and then we will take a listen to "Midnight Rendezvous".


From the press release for Songs from the Highway:

Nashville’s New Outlaw: Guitar Pickin’ and; Fightin’ the Power


Songs of the Highway Chronicles the Travels & Tribulations from the Heart of Modern Americana


Music City is an outlaw town. Drawing inspiration from the likes of Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan & Willie Nelson, Josh Gray has begun planting his own roots in the heart of Americana-Nashville, TN. After three years in writing, Songs of the Highway debuts this April 2019, setting the scene for progressive rebellion and lending a voice to the disenfranchised. On this 11-track LP, Josh Gray challenges the establishment and his listeners to act instead of acquiesce to circumstance.

   Reminiscent of Music City’s pioneering revolutionaries, Songs of the Highway sheds light on modern social injustice and inequality in an increasingly self-absorbed society.

   Experimental Americana complements the album’s roots-rock appeal. Contemporary narratives, metaphors and poetry pair with Gray’s voice in a hypnotic baritone of self-reflection and social discourse. Inspired by such luminaries as Leonard Cohen, Josh Gray invites the audience on a journey of contemplation. Questioning the world and himself along the way.

   Over 30,000 miles of rubber to road in 2015 alone, Josh Gray found himself playing bars, dives and venues all across the East Coast. Hours of solitude would lead to finding inspiration at the crossroads.

   An old soul in a new age, Gray rallied fans in a 30-day Kickstarter campaign generated by the power of social media; raising almost $9,000 to help complete the project. Recorded at the renowned Bomb Shelter in Nashville, TN Josh Gray called on the assistance of an all-star cast to bring Songs of the Highway to life.     
   Produced by Drew Carroll (Promised Land Sound, The Deslondes) and mastered by John Baldwin (Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson). With additional production and mixing provided by Andrija Tokic (Alabama Shakes, Hurray for the Riff Raff, Margo Price).  Larissa Maestro (Deer Tick, Eminem) lends her talents to shape a signature string arrangement for the standout protest anthem, Darkest Before the Dawn.

   It can be a lonely road to for a desperado but, Nashville’s newest outlaw has something to say about that, too. Songs of the Highway will be available on all major streaming platforms beginning April 2019.


Josh Gray:  The E2TG Interview

E2TG:  What prompted you to move to Nashville?
 Josh Gray: After recording my debut EP in 2015 in Maryland, I wanted to see what else was out there. I've always wanted a band but never found bandmates who were dedicated or driven enough to get something going. From what I'd heard the Nashville scene was primarily Country. I figured by being an Americana artist I'd set myself apart but not be so different that I wouldn't also appeal to fans of real country. I wanted to challenge myself in a major city and get better.
E2TG:  What did you know about Nashville's music community before you moved to Nashville? Did anything surprise you? What have you learned about Nashville since moving here?
JG: I knew very little about Nashville. I knew about all of the big artists that came out of the city but that was it. Nothing really surprised me about the scene, the level of talent is higher for sure which is something I expected. I've learned the value of not just being a loner all the time. It helps to have a good group of songwriter friends to share shows with. We pull each other up in this city.
E2TG:  Any advise for songwriters considering moving to Nashville?
JG: My advice for songwriters moving to Nashville is the same for songwriters everywhere. Immerse yourself in the scene, find your group of friends and support each other. Listen to great songwriters, read great books and watch great movies. Fill your brain with interesting things and see what comes out. Never listen to anyone who says "just write what you know," they've already lost their imagination. 
E2TG:  To what extent has being in Nashville changed your sound or your songwriting?
JG: My sound has definitely changed but I don't feel like it was the move to Nashville. The major change has been the addition of the band. I now have the ability to fully realize all of the sounds you can't achieve from just playing an acoustic guitar. We have fun together and I think that shows, you can't fake that. We made an album of music that we want to listen to. We practiced so much beforehand that the band knocked out their parts in the studio in four days. They say every musician in Nashville is a hired gun but you can't buy that kind of dedication.
 Josh Gray and The Dark Features
E2TG:  Tell me about your interest in social justice issues? Have you ever felt pressure not to talk about these issues in your songs?
JG: I feel a strong obligation to be true to myself and speak my mind. I fear for the future of this country and the world as a whole. I've never felt pressure not to speak my mind. That may be because I'm an independent artist though. I can picture some labels warning me that certain songs could hurt my brand. But if I'm ever forced to place branding over my own self respect I'd just stop recording music.
E2TG:  You ran a successful crowdfunding campaign to fund this new album, Have you done one before? Did you solicit any advice about the pros and cons of crowd-funding?  Any advice for musicians considering it?
JG: I had never run a crowdfunding campaign before and it seemed pretty risky. At the same time I didn't feel like I had a lot to lose other than pride. The one thing I knew for sure was I didn't have the money to do these songs justice. Late 2017 I met up with a friend over coffee to discuss strategy. Being a veteran of these campaigns he said you have to use Kickstarter. While the all-or-nothing aspect seems risky it's that risk which creates the urgency to help the campaign succeed. 
These are my tips:
1) Budget and be realistic.
 2) Don't run a campaign longer than 30 days. 
3)Tell a compelling story and back it up with a professional video.
 4) Create interesting and unique rewards.
 5) Create all of your social media content ahead of time. You should have at least one video or picture to post for every day of the campaign to keep everyone engaged.
 Money doesn't just appear because you have a cool idea. This is a job and it's a hell of a lot of work. I will tell you though, there is nothing like the joy of full creative freedom.

E2TG:  Just weeks away from the release of Songs of the Highway, do you have any thoughts about what comes next?
JG: What comes next is tons and tons of promotion. In April I'm touring with my friend Jason Erie. We're heading up East so check my site for show dates. Then in May the band and I have an official release show in Nashville. We'll also be playing the Blue Plate Special in Knoxville. We're planning a lot of shows and the goal is to travel outside of the city a lot more often this year.
E2TG:  Tell me about "Midnight Rendezvous".  When was it written?  Was there a particular inspiration for the song? 

JG: Midnight Rendezvous was written mid 2018. The inspiration for the song is the failed attempts at love that we all go through. It's about not harboring ill will despite it not working out. I also had to give my home state of Maryland a little shout out.
E2TG: Any final thoughts? 
JG: The open road is a place of lonesome freedom. The performer walks the contrast between the packed show and lonely hotel room. For most it's not a glamorous life but we choose it regardless. I found my voice traveling down 81 from Maryland to Tennessee on four hours of sleep. You'll hear this voice on Songs of the Highway. I put my heart into this album as did the entire band, we hope you'll give it a listen.
You can pre-order Songs of the Highway HERE.  The album is released April 16.  Check back with E2TG for information about the May release show.

Now, take a listen to "Midnight Rendezvous - only at E2TG!





Lyrics

I was walking by the trains
In the cold November rain
Thought I'd stop and grab a bite
Before callin' it a night
When I saw her standin' there
Runnin' fingers through her hair
Our eyes met across the room
Knew right then that I was doomed

Well I still remember you
And our midnight rendezvous
'Neath that old Maryland moon
What began ended too soon
Do you ever think of me?
Though it wasn't meant to be
Well you know I had to try
Babe with love it's do or die

There are people you will meet
Walkin' solemn down the street
There are secrets and deceits
There are wants and there are needs
There's a road to paradise
And I've seen it in her eyes
But that road it ain't for me
I'm still searchin' for that dream

Well I still remember you
And our midnight rendezvous
'Neath that old Maryland moon
What began ended too soon
Do you ever think of me?
Though it wasn't meant to be
Well you know I had to try
Babe with love it's do or die

There are so many things
I'd like to say to you
Bo on and spread your wings
And though our time is through
Don't dare think I'll ever forget about you
Don't dare think I'll ever forget about you

Are you still in that small town
Being held there by your doubts
If our paths they cross again
Would you see me as a friend
Well I ask myself sometimes
On these cold November nights
If you saw me 'cross the room
Would you let me go so soon?

Well I still remember you
And our midnight rendezvous
'Neath that old Maryland moon
What began ended too soon
Do you ever think of me?
Though it wasn't meant to be
Well you know I had to try
Babe with love it's do or die


No comments:

Post a Comment