Friday, October 4, 2019

Featured Friday Morning Shuffle - Freaked Out Fly Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

  *Note: The video playlist at the bottom of the post attempts to closely approximate the shuffle I listened to on my way to work this morning. When a video for a song was not available, I substituted another song by the same artist. When I could not find any videos by an artist, I included a related video or did not include a video for that track. This blog may reference unreleased tracks, however, no unreleased music is ever included.

The E2TG 8th Anniversary is underway - Next Show October 2!

September 25 - Week 1: Ben Arthur + Conrad y Skordalia (SUCCESS!)

October 2 - Week 2: Ryan Sobb + Don Gallardo (Album Release Show)  

(SUCCESS!)

October 9 - Week 3: The Truehearts + Jason Erie (JUST 5 DAYS AWAY!)

October 16 - Week 4:  Josh Gray  + Meghan Hayes

October 23 - Week 5: Microwave Mountain + The Big Dumb




First of all a semi-major non-announcement:  I have been giving a lot of thought to a revamp of E2TG. The main reasons are to 1. Make the site better and 2. Shift around some things to hopefully free up some time.

I have some ideas, but nothing is set.  One thing I am interested in is looking into some collaborations of various kinds that make sense in a mission oriented kind of way (look at me using important sounding words!).  So, if you are reading this and have any interest in collaborating with E2TG - let me know.  The changes would likely begin with the new year - more or less. 

I am also considering finding a new virtual home for E2TG, so if you have suggestions on that front, let me know.

Anyway, in the meantime, we have classic E2TG work to be done. Let's get to the Friday Shuffle.  Once again, I worked late adding new songs to the playlist and none of those showed up in today's shuffle.  But, some really cool stuff did show up! Let's go!





"Reckless Kind" by Tony Logue

We start things off on this Friday with another from the awesome Live on Red Barn Radio album by Tony Logue.  This song was the title track off of his 2011 album. Logue is an excellent country songwriter of the hard edged variety, and I highly recommend checking him out. 
"Almost Enough" by Jason Ringenberg

Watching the Ken Burns documentary about country music (I have only watched five episodes so no spoilers) got me thinking. Growing up in the 70s and 80s in Middle Tennessee, I was aware of county music- even liked it some, but I also remember a lot of commercial country music didn't do much for me. Then, I discovered new wave and punk and whatever, and I thought that was the "cool" music and country was square and for old people. A relatively short while later, I started becoming aware of some "cool" country sounds via a variety of sources from all over the musical map. From the X spinoff - The Knitters doing a George Jones song (among others), to folks like Steve Earle and Dwight Yoakum shaking up the country music establishment, to bands like Rank and File, Lone Justice, Jason and the Scorchers, and others making music that drew on the musical legacy of country music but who presented in a way that made it cool for us erstwhile, wanna be young punk rockers.   All that to say, I am happy that Jason Ringenberg is still making music that tends to defy normal classification efforts. This is the penultimate track for us to feature from his Stand Tall album. 

"Street Serenade" by Anders Dahlberg

Next up, we have the title track from the most recent album  by Norwegian artist. A great sounding album.  I am really enjoying the two Norwegian albums I got hold us through Dust of Daylight's Rune Letrud. 

"November Rain" by Grand Canyon

Enjoying some October sunshine and slightly cooler temps and digging this beautiful track about November Rain from Yesterday's News by the Los Angeles based band. 

"Fly in a Bottle" by Nick Nace

"Fly in a Bottle" was the first song released from the Jon Latham produced Wrestling with the Mystery. Nace is at the top of his class in East Nashville songwriting circles and when this album is released next month, a  bunch of people will b in on this. 

"The Stars or The Jungle" by The Pull of Autumn

We just got a new song and a new remix from Pull of Autumn.  This track comes from most recent album Afterglow. This is a supergroup featuring members of bands from the Boston area. 

"I Freak Out" by Dizraeli

The shuffle has been high on Dizraeli, and we have another from The Unmaster. Great stuff. 

"Lonely People" by Bill Bloomer

We continue to make out way through  Bounty - the latest album from American ex-pat Bill Bloomer. 

"Half Shut Knife" by Neutrals

Next, another from Kabab Disco by Oakland based Neutrals. 

"Spark" by Ring Ring Rogue
"Wake Up" by Ring Ring Rogue

And we close things out with two more tracks from the awesome Talking in Installments by the UK band Ring Ring Rogue. 


VIDEO PLAYLIST

Once again YouTube has changed their site and I can't embed the playlist... ARGGGGH!

Here is the LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment